Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newest US Gasoline Prices

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2
    Thanks for this, Ivan Seeking! I love it!

4. Aug 26, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what the gasoline prizes are in the US, but I suspect you've got nothing to complain.

Gasoline prizes here:
    Unleaded 1,439 euro per liter (1.771 usd/liter or 6.704 usd/gallon)
    Super 1,493 euro per liter (1.838 usd/liter or 6.958 usd/gallon)

5. Aug 26, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

:confused: What does it mean? There are no prices :confused:

6. Aug 26, 2005 #5
    Yes but the US is designed around needing cars. Here nobody walks, rides a bike, or uses public transportation. Not nobody, but very very few people.

7. Aug 26, 2005 #6
    lol thanks Ivan, I needed a smile, cause I need to fill up my tank today :grumpy:
    And your right Monique, at $2.85 a gallon for regular, its still cheap by Europes standards.

8. Aug 26, 2005 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's your "welfare state membership dues" you are paying for, not gas.

9. Aug 26, 2005 #8
    I love my bicycle more and more everyday!

Hilarious Ivan :rofl: :rofl:

10. Aug 26, 2005 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps that can be changed, maybe $6/gal would be a start. I say bring on public transport!

11. Aug 26, 2005 #10
    It will happen soon enough. The only bad thing is that it greatly affects the price of all other goods as well.

I honestly wish the government would tax gas in the US more....I say prices need to be about $5/gal before people would learn to drive more fuel efficient vehicles...

I wonder what the 405 would look like if gas was 5 to 6 bucks a gallon...

12. Aug 26, 2005 #11
    And with the added revenue maybe we could finally have universal healthcare and free education.

13. Aug 26, 2005 #12
    Ha.... No way.... The added revenue would just mean we can cut income taxes and perhaps send out some more refunds. Maybe we could also figure out a way to fix SS but I doubt it.

14. Aug 26, 2005 #13
    Why not eliminate income tax altogether.
    If we eliminate subsidies, pay the real cost of our wanton consumption, and tax wealth instead of production.

If I trade a portion of my life in exchange for the money I need to live, what right has anyone else to that money?

If I make an income from investments, that income should be taxed, since the social infrastructure is what makes that income possible. If I own property I have an investment in the community and therefore an obligation to support that community, that property should be taxed. If I wish to consume luxury items then I should pay for it with a consumption tax.

Food, water, shelter, healthcare, are not luxuries, they are necessities and should not be taxed.

BTW; Reagan fixed SS, and Clinton created a trust fund with the SS surplus to pay for the time when it would run a deficit. The only crisis in SS is Bush's plan to raid that 4 trillion dollar trust fund.

15. Aug 26, 2005 #14
    Well I do agree with everything except the last part....:smile:

And here I thought you were just another pro progressive income tax liberal...

Sorry for assuming so much... :wink:

16. Aug 26, 2005 #15
    So happy to disilusion you. :wink:

17. Aug 26, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

and $200 fish for someone who lives in oklahoma. I say stay with the freedom to go out to eat when I damn well please without the possibility of being mugged on my way there :rolleyes:

But then again I dont see how I could get any more traffic tickets... hell what am I saying, they'll find a way to give me a ticket on a bus... jerks.

18. Aug 26, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

wooo yah, nothing like mediocre service!

You do realize that the numbers are very very very clear when it comes to Social Security. Unless mathematics are completely the wrong way to go, we will run out within the next 50 years. It only takes a 6th grade education to see that when your paying out more then your taking in and expect to pay out even more soon, your in trouble.

19. Aug 26, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If we paid for the real price of gasoline, which includes much of the national defense, a myriad of health issues [due to pollution], not to mention compensation for all of the environmental damage done, we would probably be paying ten dollars per gallon or more. This is the great fallacy that makes alternatives appear to be economically uncompetitive: We pay for gasoline through income taxes, health care costs, and many other hidden costs.

Late edit.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  20. Aug 26, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might be working with the current prices. With the most recent increase in prices, our city's public buses reported an increase in riders. I'm also just laughing my butt off watching the SUV owners crying and running to the dealers to trade them in (there are a lot of used SUVs pretty cheap right now). I'm suddenly thinking it'll be good when I move to a small town where nothing is more than 5 miles away, and lots of stuff on campus is accessible via monorails (they're so cool, I just love that it's an option to not have to drive all over the place once I'm on campus, even if I have stuff to carry some distance). Now, if only the roads were flat, not mountains, and had shoulders, I might have considered taking up biking, but I'd be scared to death to do the downhills, and would probaby drop dead of a heart attack before I got to the top on the uphills.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  21. Aug 26, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How pathetic. Pay $30,000 for an SUV and now you just gotta trade it back in because your paying a couple thousand more in gas each year. I suppose it might make some mathematical sense in say, California with a cheapo SUV that isnt maintained very well. Talk about public histeria

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?