Newron's 2nd Law on a plane

In summary: So your (Fnet)x should be -98-9.8 = -107.8In summary, a sled with a mass of 20 kg and initially at rest moves down a hill with an angle of 60° to the horizontal and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1. After beginning motion, the net force in the x-direction is -107.8 N, calculated as the sum of the force due to gravity in the x-direction (-98 N) and the force due to kinetic friction (-9.8 N).
flatline4520

Homework Statement

A sled moves on the flat surface of a hill. The hill makes an angle θ with the horizontal, and is left orientated.

The hill: θ = 60°; left oriented; μk = 0.1.

The sled: mass = 20 kg; starting location = 20 m from the bottom of the hill;
initial speed = 0 m/s .

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1756/blockoninclineleft.jpg

Solve:
  1. (Fnet)x immediately after motion begins, (N)
  2. (Fnet)x, sliding down the hill, (N)

Homework Equations

[tex]
\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}
[/tex]Fn = mg cos θ

Fn = 98

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw an FBD and every time I solve for (Fnet)x I get:

(Fnet)x = -mg sin θ - μk*Fn

(Fnet)x = 59.742 - 9.8

(Fnet)x = 49.9 N

Every time I input that as my answer it says it's wrong. Also why is it that the kinetic friction force is a positive 9.8. Doesn't the friction go in the opposite direction of the motion?

Thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If a positive friction indicates that to the right is positive and to the left is negative

Hi

Thanks that cleared up the friction.. Do you know what I'm doing wrong with the (Fnet)x ?

Thanks for the help

According to my calculations, mg sin(60) (9.8*20*sin(60)) doesn't come out to 59.742...

1. What is Newron's 2nd Law on a plane?

Newron's 2nd Law on a plane is a scientific principle that states that the net force acting on an object on a plane is equal to the product of the mass of the object and its acceleration. This law is also known as the law of inertia.

2. How is Newron's 2nd Law on a plane different from Newton's 2nd Law?

Newron's 2nd Law on a plane is a variation of Newton's 2nd Law, which is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the net force acting on it. The main difference between the two is that Newron's 2nd Law on a plane specifically applies to objects on a plane or surface, while Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to any type of motion or force.

3. What are the key components of Newron's 2nd Law on a plane?

The key components of Newron's 2nd Law on a plane are mass, acceleration, and net force. Mass is the amount of matter in an object, acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, and net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object.

4. How is Newron's 2nd Law on a plane applied in real-life situations?

Newron's 2nd Law on a plane has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it can be used to explain why objects stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force, why it is difficult to stop a moving object, and how objects of different masses accelerate at different rates when subjected to the same force.

5. Are there any limitations to Newron's 2nd Law on a plane?

Like any scientific law, Newron's 2nd Law on a plane has its limitations. It assumes that the plane or surface on which the object is moving is frictionless and that there are no external forces acting on the object besides the net force. In reality, these conditions may not always be true, and therefore, the law may not accurately predict the motion of an object in certain situations.