Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Fail

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I often post news fails because the media annoys me, so I think I'll start collecting them into one thread. Here's a doozy I saw today on CNN.com :

A3Whut.jpg

Here's how this happens:
    Step 1: Two interesting stories about the Airbus A380 happen in 24 hours, which lends itself to a cluster format, with a picture.
    Step 2: Someone who knows a little less than nothing about airplanes or names makes a typo or otherwise confuses an A380 with an A320.
    Step 3: Needing a third "story" to properly format their news cluster, they pull a stock marketing video from Airbus for the A320 and slap it into the cluster.
    Step 4: Profit!

Per unit mass, some reporter or website editor was wrong by 694%!

[Mod note: This thread is intended to be a light-hearted place for posting news fails such as typos and gaffes, in a similar spirit to the "Funny Pictures..." thread in the Current Events" forum. Please keep it tasteful and do not start any political arguments. Thanks.]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It's a shame, yes. Unfortunately this is more common than it is rare. I've seen it on almost all news channels, including such serious ones as BBC. The A320 as well as the B-737 are the cash cows of their companies.

4. Jul 15, 2016 #3
    No news fail thread is complete without some classic videos! Warning some of these are moderately NSFW (language slips).

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4

1oldman2

Gold Member

Thats what its all about, nothing else matters, not even accuracy. (good thread by the way)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted