What is the Major Breakthrough in S. Korean Stem Cells Research?

In summary, a major breakthrough has been published in Science regarding nuclear transfer (cloning) for extracting stem cells. The article, co-authored by an American researcher, highlights the importance of this work in making human reproductive cloning practical. The process still requires harvesting fresh oocytes, but this discovery may lead to future advancements in de-differentiating cells to stem cells chemically.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I heard the news and an article is published in Science, but what exactly is the major breakthrough? To me it seems that they have improved on their technique of nuclear transfer (cloning) for extracting stem cells, not that they have created a new way of creating stem cells (the news seems to have picked up the topic big time).

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2005/519/1

Biology news on Phys.org
I read a quote (on the front page of my local newspaper) from the American researcher that co-authored the article on their work for next month's edition in either Nature or Science, can't remember now.

Anyway, the point he made was the importance of this work is that it enabled human reproductive cloning to become practical. Didn't think that one was coming for another decade or so myself...

They need to harvest fresh oocytes, practical? When I heard the news I was hoping they had found a way to de-differentiate cells to stem cells chemically.. future music :)

You mention human reproductive cloning, are you sure you don't mean therapeutic cloning?

What are stem cells and how are they used in South Korea?

Stem cells are special cells in the body that have the ability to develop into different types of cells and tissues. In South Korea, they are used in medical research and treatments, such as regenerative medicine, to repair damaged or diseased cells and tissues.

What is the current status of stem cell research in South Korea?

South Korea has a long history of stem cell research and is considered one of the leading countries in this field. However, there have been some controversies and ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research in the past. Currently, the government has strict regulations in place to ensure ethical and safe practices.

What recent advancements have been made in South Korean stem cell research?

Recently, South Korean scientists have made significant advancements in stem cell research, including developing new methods to obtain stem cells and improving their efficiency in different medical treatments. They have also successfully used stem cells to treat various diseases, such as heart disease and spinal cord injuries.

What are the potential benefits of stem cell research in South Korea?

The potential benefits of stem cell research in South Korea are vast. It has the potential to lead to new treatments for currently incurable diseases, improved understanding of developmental and genetic disorders, and advancements in regenerative medicine. It could also boost the country's economy and create new job opportunities in the biotechnology industry.

What ethical concerns surround stem cell research in South Korea?

There have been ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research in South Korea, particularly in the past when there were reports of research misconduct and illegal practices. However, the government has implemented strict regulations and oversight to ensure ethical practices are followed, and researchers are required to obtain approval from an ethics committee before conducting any research involving stem cells.