Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News on S. Korean stem cells

1. May 20, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard the news and an article is published in Science, but what exactly is the major breakthrough? To me it seems that they have improved on their technique of nuclear transfer (cloning) for extracting stem cells, not that they have created a new way of creating stem cells (the news seems to have picked up the topic big time).

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2005/519/1

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2005 #2
    I read a quote (on the front page of my local newspaper) from the American researcher that co-authored the article on their work for next month's edition in either Nature or Science, can't remember now.

Anyway, the point he made was the importance of this work is that it enabled human reproductive cloning to become practical. Didn't think that one was coming for another decade or so myself...

4. May 20, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They need to harvest fresh oocytes, practical? When I heard the news I was hoping they had found a way to de-differentiate cells to stem cells chemically.. future music :)

You mention human reproductive cloning, are you sure you don't mean therapeutic cloning?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?