Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News source recommendation

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I want to subscribe to a reputable news source (even if I have to pay). I want a news source that has not abandoned journalistic integrity.

I'll still keep my current sources of news (Yahoo!, Google news, NPR, BBC, etc.) but I am now -- out of principle if for no other reason -- feeling like I should better financially support at least one legitimate news organization.

I think I'm safe in speculating that most PF members live in a democratic society. Democracy requires that voters are well informed on the issues. As a citizen of a democratic society I feel it is my duty to stay well informed.

For a couple decades now I've always been saying that Rupert Murdock is and was the biggest a--hole/ass-clown alive in the world today. But now with the fake-news websites that have been popping up all over the place he's been relegated to being almost commonplace. Yes, as it turns out, Rupert Murdock is no more of an ass-clown than the hundreds of other progenitors of dishonest news. He's just a dime-a-dozen these days. It's a sad time for humanity. Very sad indeed.

Don't get me wrong, Yahoo! and Google news have done a great job on filtering out much/most of misinformation, but there's just so much of it that an Internet based news source can do. (Facebook, not so much, but today promised to try to do better).

I live in the USA at the moment, by the way. So far I'm considering:
    • Giving NPR a bigger donation
    • Subscribing to Washington Post
    • Subscribing to New York Times
    Does anybody have other suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I know that the Washington Post and the New York Times both have media bias, and have found media bias in NPR. Earlier today I found out that news outlet Reuters failed to fact check a bogus twitter from Trump claiming that he kept a Ford car plant in Kentucky open, turns out Ford had never planned to close that plant.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-writes-misleading-tweet-175020325.html

Shameful, just shameful. Reuters posted false information!

And no, this isn't the start of the things Trump has done. Just that there seems to be no news source you can trust.

4. Nov 20, 2016 #3
    I have been subscribed to https://www.stratfor.com/ for a few years now.

5. Nov 20, 2016 #4

Evo

6. Nov 20, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think they're all biased so don't pay much attention to that (although I recognize that it is by far the most egregious on FOX followed fairly closely by MSNBC) but I find the BBC to be good and in printed media I like The Economist.

7. Nov 20, 2016 #6
    Who would do that? Personally I find them the least biased. It's all global intelligence reporting.

8. Nov 20, 2016 #7

Evo

9. Nov 20, 2016 #8
    I guess Stratfor is less news and more analysis. No doubt BBC and Al Jazeera are top notch.

10. Nov 20, 2016 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

When I watched Al Jazeera USA TV edition a couple of years ago it was excellent, as it was an attempt to emulate the BBC, but its WRITTEN web page was MASSIVELY anti-semitic and completely biased in favor of all things Arab.

11. Nov 20, 2016 #10

Evo

That is true, no news source can be trusted. If I had to pick one, it would have to be the BBC.

12. Nov 20, 2016 #11
    The BBC is definitely my favourite to the point that I tend to rely on it entirely (which is probably not a great thing). I used to watch Al Jazeera Arabic TV but I gave up on it many years ago. It was almost comically biased. I'm not sure about their English channel/website though.

13. Nov 21, 2016 #12

BillTre

Science Advisor

I like the New York Times, but mostly because I think they make some of the best short science videos.
    Here is their LIGO video for example.

14. Nov 21, 2016 #13
    I think bias is unavoidable especially in politics since feeling run deep. Going on-line and searching for article on "bias of ......... " you get some interesting and contradictory results showing that bias may be in the eyes of the reader too. Some try hard to avoid bias but we are human and other flaunt it. Two service mentioned above seem to be noted for their efforts to avoid political favoritism "The Economist" and Stratfor Enterprises. Although the Economist may be mostly politically neutral is does espouse an economic philosophy. The Stratfor Enterprise discusses bias and issues avoiding it. in an article If We Covered the U.S. Election which I found very interesting and indicating that it might be worth following routinely. Thanks @Greg Bernhardt

15. Nov 30, 2016 #14

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

16. Dec 1, 2016 #15

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On a more lighthearted note: today, The Onion posted a couple articles on this subject. (The Onion is a satirical, online magazine that parodies news for the sake of humor. I do not consider The Onion a fake-news source or a real news source; they are a comedy and satire source. Their articles are often quite pertinent, nevertheless.)

Facebook User Verifies Truth Of Article By Carefully Checking It Against Own Preconceived Opinions
    http://www.theonion.com/article/facebook-user-verifies-truth-article-carefully-che-54790

Longtime Reader Of Lib-Slaves.info Sick Of Mainstream Bias On Sites Like WideAwakePatriot.com
    http://www.theonion.com/article/longtime-reader-lib-slavesinfo-sick-mainstream-bia-54745

“It’s so frustrating to see so-called journalists claiming that John Podesta’s hacked emails show his involvement in child prostitution, when in reality, they’re a clear indication of his membership in a D.C.–wide cannibalism ring."
    Ha ha! :biggrin::DD The sad thing is I've met several [real] people like that in the last several months.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  17. Dec 17, 2016 #16

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just found a fairly good stab at a summary of sources, recently posted on imgur. It's limited to USA news sources. At a glance it seems like a pretty good start:

A decent breakdown of all things real and fake news.
    7xHaUXf.jpg

(Source: http://imgur.com/7xHaUXf)

18. Dec 17, 2016 #17
    I read the Guardian and the Huffington Post, besides BBC News.
    Saturday Night Live also puts things in perspective.

19. Dec 17, 2016 #18
    I would classify FOX as Utter Garbage in its entirety.

20. Dec 17, 2016 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, and I agree but millions of people disagree with us.

21. Dec 17, 2016 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I find it amusing that they show The Economist as skewed conservative since most of my conservative acquaintances think it is a raving liberal publication. Of course they also think that about CNN. Come to think of it I guess they think it about everything to the left of FOX.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted