Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Story: Twin Paradox Solved

1. Feb 16, 2007 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2007 #2
    :rofl: mumble mumble curse words...
  4. Feb 16, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

What a load of crap.
  5. Feb 16, 2007 #4
    Well at least the comments sum it up, it's not a paradox you monkeys:tongue2: :biggrin:

Sloppy journalism probably. Or an engineer who hasn't got his head round the idea of SR.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  6. Feb 16, 2007 #5
    Yeah, the twin paradox has been resolved for years, that is, decided not to be a paradox. This story was even retracted on some websites (it has been appearing on a lot of strange websites).

Science needs to strike back against idiots like that with (a) force. Not as in inviting them to equal-based scientific discussion, but to, for a lack of better words, go Richard Dawkins on them.
  7. Feb 16, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More like resolved for almost a century.
  8. Feb 17, 2007 #7
    I don't get it, why make a fool of yourself? What does electrical engineering have to do with relativity anyway???!!
  9. Feb 17, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because for crackpots, any publicity is good publicity. This is because they have no other means of getting "recognized", so even bad publicity is good publicity. Besides, considering how bad the general public's literacy on science is, and how many suckers are born every minute, there's bound to be hordes of people who would buy into it.

It is why they are so annoyed with PF, because we are cutting off one of their means of publicity.

10. Feb 17, 2007 #9

Homework Helper

The funniest was a reply I read somewhere in those forums :

"So a journalist and a student get drunk in a bar..." :rofl:

The least funny replies where those people actually taking this crap seriously and debating the merits (or lack thereof) of the article. Total craziness.
  11. Feb 17, 2007 #10
    He got something on this topic published in the "International Journal of Theoretical Physics". Temple University Library no longer subscribes to it, and I won't pay the $32 to read it online so I can't say what's in it. However, this sounds worse than the Sokol hoax.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?