1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NewScientist: Most scientific papers are probably wrong

1. Sep 1, 2005 #1
    NewScientist: "Most scientific papers are probably wrong"

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7915

This is no surprise to me if we are considering papers in the social sciences. But I wonder what those of you in the other sciences think about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Somewhere out there, there is a paper that uses figures on the strength of a certain dental material that were obtained by me in my garage. I find that to be rather scary! :biggrin:

4. Sep 1, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: And I built my garage with that dental material!

5. Sep 1, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as you don't bite it you'll be fine. :biggrin:

6. Sep 1, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

mmm... that might be hard. I didn't have a lot of plaster.... so i used cookie dough.

7. Sep 1, 2005 #6

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

This result was obtained in a scientific research paper. The results of scientific research papers have a greater than 50% chance of being wrong. Therefore, there is a greater than 50% chance that the conclusion is wrong. This implies that there is actually not a greater than 50% chance that it is wrong. Since it is probably not wrong, then the conslusion is probably true, which means it is probably wrong... :confused:

8. Sep 2, 2005 #7
    Yeah, emphasis on the "assuming that the new paper is itself correct" in the original article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?