Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NewScientist: Most scientific papers are probably wrong

1. Sep 1, 2005 #1
    NewScientist: "Most scientific papers are probably wrong"

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7915

This is no surprise to me if we are considering papers in the social sciences. But I wonder what those of you in the other sciences think about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Somewhere out there, there is a paper that uses figures on the strength of a certain dental material that were obtained by me in my garage. I find that to be rather scary! :biggrin:

4. Sep 1, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: And I built my garage with that dental material!

5. Sep 1, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as you don't bite it you'll be fine. :biggrin:

6. Sep 1, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

mmm... that might be hard. I didn't have a lot of plaster.... so i used cookie dough.

7. Sep 1, 2005 #6

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

This result was obtained in a scientific research paper. The results of scientific research papers have a greater than 50% chance of being wrong. Therefore, there is a greater than 50% chance that the conclusion is wrong. This implies that there is actually not a greater than 50% chance that it is wrong. Since it is probably not wrong, then the conslusion is probably true, which means it is probably wrong... :confused:

8. Sep 2, 2005 #7
    Yeah, emphasis on the "assuming that the new paper is itself correct" in the original article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?