Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newspapers turning into tabloids?

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1
    A couple days ago, the front page of the Toronto Star was graced with a picture of a pregnant Britney Spears, and an article about her unhealthy eating habits, and her marital woes?

Just wondering, does anyone else have this problem with their local newspapers? Reporting pop culture, instead of (gasp!) news? The Star responded that they were trying to attract younger readers, but I've been thrilled to read many an angry letter from teenagers, denouncing the focus on Britney as front page news.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

The Calgary Herald is a good, solid newspaper. The Calgary Sun has always been half-way between it and the Inquirer.

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3
    Is the Herald owned by one of large media giants? I find the Toronto Sun is very similar to how you describe the Calgary Sun, but theyre both owned by Quebecor, so that makes sense.

If the Star keeps disappointing, I might switch to the Globe and Mail. Neither the Sun nor the National Post are any good. The only people I see reading the Post are the Bay St. businessmen.

5. Apr 17, 2005 #4
    Washington Post weekly edition baby!! Boo yeah!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?