Newsweek poll internals are out

• News
  • Thread starter kat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, Kat offers Newsweek an internals-only poll in return for a kiss, but Newsweek claims the poll was taken using a biased sample and only offers neck nibbling, which Kat counter-offers.
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to read through all of that. I think I'll just wait for a couple more polls to come out...wait a minute...did you say kiss ? :tongue2:

(damn...I hate reading these things...)

Bend over...

wasteofo2 said:
Do I get a kiss? :biggrin:

waste, you're underage...no kissing for you ! :grumpy:

Gokul43201 said:
waste, you're underage...no kissing for you ! :grumpy:
Jesus Christ, you Republicans, always trying to dictate morality to people, now you want to dictate the legal age for kissing?

You bastards...

:biggrin:

Is there an upper age limit?

This morning Wolf Blitzer showed the results of the CNN internet [maybe call-in] poll.

Kerry won the debate: 93%!
Bush 6% :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay, we may have a slighty biased result here. Of course, from my point of view, the results are still skewed in Bush's favor. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What's a good news show to watch during weekends ? I know there's the Sunday show that Wolf Blitzer does, but the only show I've found to be consistently watch-worthy is Capital Gang. What else is out there, anyway ?

My TV has this nasty habit of staying tuned into sports all through the weekend. I just have no clue what else happens on TV...

I like: This Week, Washington Week in Review, and Meet the Press.

I watch Meet the Press occassionally...I forgot to mention that. Will look out for the others, if I can tear myself away from football...

Wo2: I'm afraid I'd only be able to give you a nice little pat on the head or maybe a motherly peck on the cheek (I have two sons older then you!).

But since it appears that none of you appear to have checked the screening and weighting on this poll... I don't think any of you deserve a kiss! Things like over weighting at the beginning of the month on one side and then underweighting the next can create different types of responses from the electoriate. Not creating the motivation the winning side needs to continue because it thinks it has it made, or sending that portion of voters who's tendency it is to vote for the winner to one side or the other, or those who think they're vote may be wasted because their "guy" has already lost.
On the commercial side of it, it can be the News creating news and thus increasing viewers and circulation...

So, with the hints above...do you now see what's wrong with this poll?

Did anyone catch the earlier fallacious Gallup poll?

Personally I think that the more we inform ourselves as to this type of "Poll manipulation" the more pressure there will be to end it. I think with the awareness and fast paced travel of information available through the internet, there is far more power in the hands of the masses to end this type of misinformation.

Last edited:
As much as I'd like a kiss from you, kat, I'm just too damn lazy to go through that whole thing.

Well I’m lazy --- but I can be motivated.

First, let me warn you, I’ve seen the movie, My Cousin Vinny, at least four times. This sounds a little like a scene from that movie. I've learned my law from that excellent movie and am especially schooled in Contract Law. Here, Kat, is my performance showing acceptance of your offer, which Cousin Vinny tells us, forms a binding contract.

My performance:

The Newsweek internals show that their poll was taken using 750 plus voters who described themselves as follows:

265 Republicans (plus or minus 7)
274 Democrats (plus or minus 7)
215 Independents (plus or minus 8)

Newsweek has their sample of Independents at about 30% of the total and so, Independents may be seriously over-represented in the Newsweek poll. This linked article indicates that true Independents consist of only about 8% –

http://www.thisnation.com/question/012.html

Now on to important matters ---

Partial Performance:

I understand that I performed only one of the two tasks you asked for so, I can't, in fairness, demand the full delivery of the one kiss (See offer described as one "...big fat kiss.") However, since this agreement was partially performed, it is my position that I am due something. (See the rule governing Partial Performance of Contracts, My Cousin Vinny, Scene 28) I counter-offer five minutes of neck nibbling (See the rule on counter-offers, Vinny, Scene 29). While this will not satisfy me, and believe I am due more, I wish to resolve this matter. I believe it is to your advantage to accept this counter-offer.

I expect that you will attempt to defend yourself by claiming that one full performance of two tasks was required before the delivery of one "big fat kiss." You may intend to support this position by indicating that your intent is shown by not specifically describing a 'two part performance.' If this is your position, please let me remind you that ambiguities in a contract are construed against the maker of that contract. If you take this matter before a judge I suspect you will not only lose on the issue of partial performance, but also run the danger of losing on the meaning of 'big fat kiss.' At this time I will not describe my position on that matter since it is not presently before us.

I suggest that settlement of this matter, under the terms described above, is in your best interest. Please let me know how you intend to resolve this matter no later than the close of business Friday.

Regards,

Tigers2B1

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Tiger, I need to remind you that hollywood...does not reflect reality. I'm sure that that having clarified that for you I need not mention that i have 7 brothers all of which are over 6' and several uncles who are very successful lawyers, but just in case...I've mentioned them anyway. =)

My performance:

The Newsweek internals show that their poll was taken using 750 plus voters who described themselves as follows:

Quote:
265 Republicans (plus or minus 7)
274 Democrats (plus or minus 7)
215 Independents (plus or minus 8)

Newsweek has their sample of Independents at about 30% of the total and so, Independents may be seriously over-represented in the Newsweek poll. This linked article indicates that true Independents consist of only about 8% –

This is definitely one issue! But there are soooo many more!

Russ and others,
You need not read the whole damn thing...just a quick glance should tell you what the major issues are.

In fact, the most obvious issue is that it's registered voters and not expected voters.

kat said:
Dear Tiger, I need to remind you that hollywood...does not reflect reality. I'm sure that that having clarified that for you I need not mention that i have 7 brothers all of which are over 6' and several uncles who are very successful lawyers, but just in case...I've mentioned them anyway. =)

This is definitely one issue! But there are soooo many more!

Russ and others,
You need not read the whole damn thing...just a quick glance should tell you what the major issues are.

In fact, the most obvious issue is that it's registered voters and not expected voters.

I think that would certainly eliminate some of the undecided vote. I suspect there are quite a few undecided voters who will just give up and not bother voting. You just can't predict what they will do. They could just as likely toss a coin.

What concerns me is they had 1% or so of those polled who haven't even heard of the Bush National Guard hullabaloo! Are these people living in caves? Whether you have an opinion about it or not, it's hard for me to believe there are people who haven't even heard about it! Anyone that out of touch with reality should have their voter registration card torn up! :grumpy:

1. What is a Newsweek poll?

A Newsweek poll is a survey conducted by the media outlet Newsweek to gather public opinion on a particular issue or topic. These polls are often used to gauge public sentiment and inform readers about current events.

2. What are "internals" in a Newsweek poll?

"Internals" in a Newsweek poll refer to the detailed breakdown of the poll results. This includes information such as demographic data, sample size, and specific responses to each question asked in the poll.

3. How are Newsweek poll internals collected?

Newsweek poll internals are collected through various methods, including online surveys, telephone interviews, and in-person interviews. The data is then analyzed and organized to provide a comprehensive report on the poll results.

4. Can anyone access Newsweek poll internals?

No, Newsweek poll internals are typically only available to subscribers or those who have paid for access to the polls. However, the main findings of the poll are often reported in the news and can be accessed by anyone.

5. How accurate are Newsweek poll internals?

The accuracy of Newsweek poll internals can vary and is dependent on factors such as the sample size and the demographic representation of the respondents. It is important to consider the methodology and potential biases when interpreting the results of a Newsweek poll.