Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Newt Gingrich: Child labor laws are stupid

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Newt Gingrich: "Child labor laws are stupid"

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-gingrich-child-labor-20111121,0,6466282.story

Please tell me this is a parody or I'm misunderstanding him or SOMETHING. Cause the way I read it, he wants to repeal CHILD LABOR LAWS.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    Re: Newt Gingrich: "Child labor laws are stupid"

Hmm, upon reading that article I'm not too sure how literally I'd like to take it. Getting rid of child labor laws is a pretty stupid idea, and having children as janitors is also stupid, but I'm not sure his concept is as flawed as how he chose to exemplify it.

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Get any job that teaches you to show up on Monday"

Show up to school or show up to work?

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4

:biggrin:IMO - Newt is going to be a great Vice President - (Romney-Gingrich 2012).

Hopefully they stage a 4 man debate:

Obama/Biden vs Romney/Gingrich

...a real cage match...last man standing type of event.

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

You support the repeal of child labor laws then?

7. Nov 21, 2011 #6

i was able to work at 16. we had laws. what EXACTLY are you asking? Newt says in your quote he wants a simple model. one assumes he doesn't like the law as is and wants to change it.

8. Nov 21, 2011 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Actually child labor laws as written (the ones Newt calls stupid) allow children as young as 14 to work under special circumstances. Given that, I'm forced to believe that he wants children younger than 14 to work. Say, 12, or maybe 8.

And... ya know, those child labor laws were written in for a reason. They're created because children aren't supposed to be working at 12, or 8. And I can't support a candidate who believes those laws should be gotten rid of... apparently so we can get rid of janitorial unions.

As an aside, every single reform since 1900, I've seen challenged by Republicans now. Child labor laws? Newt's against them. Income tax? Against it! Social security? Against it! Medicare? Against it! Progressive tax laws? Against them! Glass-Steagall? Against it! Roe v. Wade? Against it!

9. Nov 21, 2011 #8

I would have loved to work as a Janitor. This should also be done in colleges

10. Nov 21, 2011 #9

Newt was making a point that unions have priced themselves out of the market at the expense of people willing to do the same job for less money. He's not suggesting we return to the age of sweatshops and Cannery Row.

Full disclosure, I've owned a number of small businesses - including restaurants. IMO - small/micro businesses (less than $500,000 revenues) should be allowed to hire younger teenagers at a sub-minimum wage - perhaps $5.00/hour. A school work permit is still important, along with parental consent, and the work shift hours and total hours should be restricted - maybe 20 hours per week. Small businesses have a need for young workers, the business model provides good experience, occupied time might keep the same kids out of trouble, and the kids put money in their pockets.

11. Nov 21, 2011 #10

it all sounds very dire! i think child labor laws were passed to keep kids out of factories all day. but what if they spend 15 minutes picking up trash at the school? or even an hour? is that what child labor laws are written to prevent? why would that be a bad thing?

12. Nov 21, 2011 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Depends if the law was writen that way, no?

13. Nov 21, 2011 #12

does anyone really think newt is suggesting full time child janitors?

14. Nov 21, 2011 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there has to be restrictions on when/how many hours/what type of jobs kids can have, but the current restrictions are too strict.

Labor laws for 14 & 15 year olds are mildly too restrictive. 7 PM is too early a limit - 10 PM would be a better limit if the number of nights one could work until 10 were limited. 18 hours is slightly too restrictive, but not enough to raise a ruckus (I don't think an upper limit of 25 hours would unreasonable, either).

Children under 14 should be allowed to work and 7 PM would be a reasonable limit for 12 year olds. I think I'd set the total hours a little less than 18 hours, though.

Working an hour or two after school performing some of the janitorial services would be perfectly acceptable.

15. Nov 21, 2011 #14

You might think so, but in reality I doubt if either the parents or the school board would think so after they heard from their respective insurance companies. Accidents will happen, and the costs of the consequential insurance claims and the attendant lawsuits would be staggering.

16. Nov 21, 2011 #15

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The most effective solution to that would be to get rid of say 90% of the USA's insurance brokers and lawyers, as well as the janitors. Learning to take some personal resposibility for yourself, and other people, never did anybody any harm IMO.

17. Nov 21, 2011 #16

How often does an insurance company cover the losses of their client - when a third party is responsible for damages and either won't pay or doesn't have an ability to pay? Insurance is the transference of risk - nothing more.

18. Nov 21, 2011 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's all moot, since there aren't enough jobs for young people who can legally work.
    http://bls.gov/news.release/youth.nr0.htm

*Youth = 16- to 24-year-olds

I think the Dems are salivating at the prospects of Newt on the ticket :biggrin:.

19. Nov 22, 2011 #18

I don't see that he's trying to repeal child labor laws. He's saying the way they're written today is pretty stupid, and I agree with him.

On a related front, the U.S. Dept of Labor is seeking to radically change child labor laws regarding farms. Essentially, kids would no longer be allowed to work on any farm except their own. I think that's pretty stupid, too.

20. Nov 22, 2011 #19

Actually, there are jobs available for young people that have been priced out of the market. If a small shop needs someone to sweep, mop, take the trash out, wash windows, and maybe stock a bit - time 2 hours per day At $5.00 per hour there is a job available. At minimum wage at $7.25 to $7.40 per hour (try to find an adult to work for 2 hours) the owner will do the work themselves.

Ask any small business owner in America if the minimum wage has affected their hiring and scheduling decisions.

21. Nov 22, 2011 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the Dems are salivating in general. By all rights this upcoming Presidential election should belong to the Republicans. So what do they do to ensure that the election is theirs? Apparently, the Republican strategy is to field one of the weakest and least palatable set of candidates ever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook