1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton and Coulomb laws link

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1
    Do you know if someone already found a link between Newton : F = G mm'/r^2 and Coulomb : F = K qq'/r^2 laws ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

link? what kind of link? Please specify at what level this link "should be".

Are you asking if there is a theory of unification of electromagnetism and gravity?

The mathematical link is trivial, it is simple potential theory and differential equations.

4. Mar 22, 2009 #3
    of course the mathematical link is trivial but I was thinking about the unification between electromagnetism and gravity. I know it is the famous GUT that everybody wait. But I wanted to know if a great expert like you has original informations out of string theory.

5. Mar 22, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no GUT is strong + electro + weak.

If you want to acquire information about string theory, we have a sub forum called "Beyond the standard model" where people are more than happy to answer your questions and put you in the right direction.

However, I encourage you to search for older threads and reading FAQ and sticky threads and the forum rules before proceeding.

6. Mar 22, 2009 #5
    you have not respond to my question, I said "out" of string theory !

7. Mar 22, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't understand everything you are posting here since your English is not "the best".

"original informations out of string theory"

Means what?? The grammar in that sentence is also wrong, sorry, but it is really hard to know what you mean.

8. Mar 22, 2009 #7
    ok glenn I will try : I mean : do you know something different from string theory and able to make a physical (not mathematical) link between these laws.

9. Mar 22, 2009 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"something different from string theory"

do you mean

"something different THAN string theory"?

Also, the physical link will involve math of course...

10. Mar 22, 2009 #9
    true, different than string theory and with all the math you want :-)

11. Mar 22, 2009 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why not string theory?

12. Mar 22, 2009 #11
    why not ?

13. Mar 22, 2009 #12

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, why don't you consider String Theory as a possible TOE?

14. Mar 22, 2009 #13
    I consider string theory a possible way but perhaps it is not the only way and my question is do you know another way ?

15. Mar 22, 2009 #14

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well as I said, better to ask in the "beyond the standard model forum", a mentor will most probably move this thread to that place for you.

16. Mar 22, 2009 #15
    ok glenn thank you for your help and I hope to exchange with you asap

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook