Newton assumed mass of a light particle is approaching zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the mass of light and whether it was reasonable for Isaac Newton to disregard it in his particle theory due to his lack of knowledge in quantum behavior. The conversation also raises the question of whether there is a sensible degree of accuracy for measurements and if disregarding values like the mass of light has hindered the development of new ideas in physics. One participant argues that it is good science to take the mass of light as zero until there is evidence to suggest otherwise, while another points out that there are theoretical and experimental reasons for assuming it to be zero. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of considering all factors and evidence in scientific theories.
BLUE_CHIP
Today, I was casually perusing the general physics forum when i came across this thread:Mass of Light? and Zlex posted

Newton assumed in his particle theory that the mass of a light particle is approaching zero, meaning that it is so close to zero it might as well be zero.

What I wish to discuss is whether it was truly good science to simply disregard the mass of light because it is so small.
Due to Newton's lack of knowledge in the area of quantum behavoir, surely disregarding such a value is criminal. For all he knew it could have had major connotations on the progression of particle physics over the next few decades.
What I am trying to say is:

Is there a sensible degree of accuracy at which to stop?

An could the lack of accuracy and the dismissal of values,
such as the mass of light, have set back the development of
new ideas in physics.

I'm not simply confining this to the example that I have given, but extend it to all branches of science.

Science news on Phys.org

Originally posted by BLUE_CHIP
What I wish to discuss is whether it was truly good science to simply disregard the mass of light because it is so small.

Of course. If it's too small to measure, then we may as well take it to be zero until such a time that a nonzero value proves useful in accounting for some observation.

Anyway, it's not as if physicists declared that the photon must be massless, end of story. Experimentalists constantly work to improve the mass upper bound on photons, just like they work to improve the measurements of all other particle properties; you can look up the current bounds from the Particle Data Group. And theorists can write down theories that incorporate a nonzero photon mass, that we could potentially use if it were ever found to be nonzero. It's just that there's no reason to use them right now: no evidence yet supports them over QED.

There are good theoretical and experimental reasons for asserting that the rest mass of phtons is zero. The essential point is that the speed of light (in vacuum) is independent of reference frame. According to special relativity, this would not be so for anything with a positive rest mass.

1. What is Newton's assumption about the mass of a light particle?

Newton assumed that the mass of a light particle is approaching zero, meaning it is extremely small or negligible.

2. Why did Newton make this assumption?

Newton made this assumption because at the time, it was believed that light was made up of particles rather than waves. Therefore, in order to explain the properties of light, he assumed that the mass of a light particle was approaching zero.

3. How does this assumption affect our understanding of light?

This assumption has a significant impact on our understanding of light because it helped explain certain behaviors of light, such as its ability to travel at high speeds and its ability to reflect and refract.

4. Is Newton's assumption still valid today?

No, Newton's assumption about the mass of a light particle has been disproven by modern physics theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity which states that all particles with mass cannot travel at the speed of light. However, Newton's laws of motion and gravitation are still widely used and applicable in many situations.

5. How has our understanding of light evolved since Newton's time?

Since Newton's time, our understanding of light has evolved significantly. We now know that light has both wave-like and particle-like properties, and that its speed is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. Our understanding of light has also been expanded through the discovery of electromagnetic radiation and the development of quantum mechanics.