1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton/gravity question

1. Jan 31, 2004 #1
    Hello and greetings to all on this forum!

I have just begun studying physics, and use a great book called 'how things work: physics in everyday life'. I can really recommend that book to anyone!

However, in the first chapter, i've been able to make all review questions, except for one. It's answer is probably obvious but i cannot solve the problem. Tried it for a long time, but it only gave me a headache :)

Here it is: 'A basketball player can leap upward 0.5 m. What is his initial velocity at the start of the leap?'

I think i have to use the fact that the earth's gravity is 9,8 m/sec2, but i don't know how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and have a good day everyone!!

Gero

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2004 #2

FZ+

V^2 = U^2 + 2*A*S

4. Jan 31, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, you would need to know v= u+ at where u is the original )(upward) speed, a= -9.8 m/s2 (negative because it is downward) and t is the time. The jumper will continue upward until v= 0 so at the jumper's highest point, u-9.8t= 0. You will also need to know that d= ut+ (a/2)t2 where d is the height and, again, u is the original speed, a= -9.8 and t is the time. At the jumper's highest point, d= 0.5 so 0.5= ut- 4.9t2. From the first equation, u= 9.8t so ut= 9.8t2 and the second equation becomes 0.5= 9.8t2- 4.9t2 or
    4.9t2= 0.5. Solve that for t and then use u= 9.8t to find the original speed.

5. Feb 1, 2004 #4
    As Halls said the Player will move the height just when its final velcoity is zero.
    so
    u have

v2=u2+2as

here a=-g and s=0.5 m

6. Feb 2, 2004 #5
    Thanks to everyone! With your help i was able to solve the problem (t=0.32, u=3.136)!

Again, thanks! Thanks to you physics continues to be fun!

Gero

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?