Newton's Second Law: Solving for Acceleration and Velocity | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation F=ma in solving a homework problem regarding the motion of an object with air resistance. Part a) involves finding the speed at a given time, while part b) asks for the initial speed and how it changes. The solution involves integrating the given equation to find the value of v at a given time.
lauraosborn

Homework Statement

http://postimage.org/image/810vdcuvf/

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a) i put mdv/dt = -F(brake) - kv

but is lost for what to put in for part b), help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is v at t = 0?

Doc Al said:
What is v at t = 0?

for part b) am i right if i say that

-the speed is 15 when t=0
-the speed is decreasing

lauraosborn said:
for part b) am i right if i say that

-the speed is 15 when t=0
-the speed is decreasing
The first is what I would call the initial condition.

c) 1200 dv/dt = -(3600 + kv)
1/(3600+kv) dv = -1/1200 dt

so do i integrate the above equation to find k?

You're not finding k (I assume that k is given in your model of air resistance), but v(t).

1. What are the three laws of motion according to Newton?

The three laws of motion according to Newton are:

1. Law of Inertia: An object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Law of Acceleration: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. Law of Action-Reaction: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight according to Newton's laws?

According to Newton's laws, mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of the location of the object, whereas weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

3. How do Newton's laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws can be observed and applied in various aspects of everyday life. For example, the first law explains why objects tend to stay at rest or in motion unless acted upon by a force, such as a car coming to a stop when the brakes are applied. The second law can be seen in the increased acceleration of a car when more force is applied to the gas pedal. The third law can be observed in activities such as walking, where the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force to the force of our feet pushing down.

4. How do Newton's laws relate to the concept of energy?

According to the first law, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. The second law relates force and acceleration, which are both components of work and energy. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can be seen in the transfer of energy between objects.

5. Can Newton's laws be applied to non-inertial reference frames?

Yes, Newton's laws can be applied to non-inertial reference frames, but additional forces such as centrifugal and Coriolis forces may need to be considered. These forces are present in reference frames that are accelerating or rotating. However, in the absence of these additional forces, Newton's laws still hold true in non-inertial reference frames.