Newton Laws/Dynamics: 3 Masses on an incline

In summary: If it is given then the acceleration must be dependent on Mu. However, if it is not given then the acceleration might not be dependent on Mu.
BitterX
Mu1 is the friction coefficient , I'm sure I did it wrong because I got the acceleration isn't dependent on it, and it doesn't make sense.
disregard the axis in the drawing - it's for another question.

Homework Statement

Find an expression for the acceleration of the system when there is no relative movement between M1 and M2
(same acceleration and velocity?)

h.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣF =ma

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 1.doc

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no relative movement between M1 and M2 then one can take (M1 + M2) as one body. The coefficient of friction is between the block and the inclined plane. Right?

forgot to mention: there's no friction between the incline and the mass 2 only between mass 1 and 2.
I don't think you can look at it as one body mass 1 can slip from mass 2 the friction is the only think that can make them move together (the only force that resist the Earth pull on mass1).

I don't know what the answer is. that's what I'm trying to find out!

It was given that there is no relative movement between M1 and M2. Of course there is friction between these two masses. But if these masses are considered as one body then this friction force will be an internal force and can be left out of our consideration.

Maybe you are right, then it's reasonable why I haven't got Mu in the answer :/
I don't have the final answer so I'm trying to find out if I'm right... these questions have grades.

My line of thinking is that if Mu will be a large number than m1 could go up along with m2 even if m3 is heavy (and thus the force pulling both of the masses up is greater) but if it would be very little m1 won't "keep up" with m2(if it's going up) .
and so the acceleration has to be dependent on Mu - though I could be wrong.

But thanks, it's really kind of you to help :)

It all depends on whether or not it is 'given' that there is no relative motion between M1 and M2.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the concept of force in Newton's Laws?

Force is a measure of the interaction between two objects and is described as a push or pull. According to Newton's Second Law, force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the force exerted on an object, the greater the acceleration will be. Force is also measured in units of Newtons (N).

3. How do Newton's Laws apply to the scenario of 3 masses on an incline?

In this scenario, the three masses on an incline are subject to the forces of gravity and friction. Newton's First Law applies as the masses will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by a force. Newton's Second Law applies as the net force on each mass will determine its acceleration. Finally, Newton's Third Law applies as the masses will exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

4. How do the masses' positions affect the forces on them?

The position of the masses on the incline will affect the forces acting on them. The force of gravity will be greater on objects that are higher up on the incline, and the force of friction will be greater on objects that are lower down on the incline. This will result in different accelerations for each mass.

5. What is the role of friction in this scenario?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. In the scenario of 3 masses on an incline, friction will act in the opposite direction of the objects' motion, slowing them down. The amount of friction will depend on the type of surface the masses are on and the masses' weights. Friction is an important factor to consider in determining the net force and acceleration of the masses.