What is the Force Ranking in an Elevator with Stacked Blocks?

In summary, the forces can be ranked from largest to smallest as follows: the force of the floor on the 1kg block (equal to the force of the 1kg block on the floor), the force of the 1kg block on the 2kg block (equal to the force of the 2kg block on the 1kg block), the force of the 2kg block on the 3kg block (equal to the force of the 3kg block on the 2kg block), and the force of the 3kg block on the 1kg block (equal to the force of the 1kg block on the 3kg block).
iluvphys
Hello guys, I am currently busy with this introductory assignment on Newtons Laws.
I have tried to solve but i am not sure whether i have the right solution.
Please help.

Homework Statement

Three blocks are stacked on top of each other inside an elevator as shown in the figure.
Answer the following questions with reference to the eight forces defined as follows.

the force of the 3kg block on the 2kg block, F of 3 on 2,
the force of the 2kg block on the 3kg block, F of 2 on 3,
the force of the 3kg block on the 1kg block, F of 3 on 1,
the force of the 1kg block on the 3kg block, F of 1 on 3,
the force of the 2kg block on the 1kg block, F of 2 on 1,
the force of the 1kg block on the 2kg block, F of 1 on 2,
the force of the 1kg block on the floor, F of 1 on floor, and
the force of the floor on the 1kg block, F of floor on 1.

Assume the elevator is at rest. Rank the magnitude of the forces.
Rank from largest to smallest.

3kg block
V
2kg block
V
1kg block
v
elevator floor

The Attempt at a Solution

F of floor on 1 and F 1 on floor (equal), F of 3 on 2 and F of 2 on 3 (equal), F of 2 on 1 and F of 1 on 2 (equal), F of 3 on 1 and F of 1 on 3 (equal).

Is this ranking right? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iluvphys,

iluvphys said:
Hello guys, I am currently busy with this introductory assignment on Newtons Laws.
I have tried to solve but i am not sure whether i have the right solution.
Please help.

Homework Statement

Three blocks are stacked on top of each other inside an elevator as shown in the figure.
Answer the following questions with reference to the eight forces defined as follows.

the force of the 3kg block on the 2kg block, F of 3 on 2,
the force of the 2kg block on the 3kg block, F of 2 on 3,
the force of the 3kg block on the 1kg block, F of 3 on 1,
the force of the 1kg block on the 3kg block, F of 1 on 3,
the force of the 2kg block on the 1kg block, F of 2 on 1,
the force of the 1kg block on the 2kg block, F of 1 on 2,
the force of the 1kg block on the floor, F of 1 on floor, and
the force of the floor on the 1kg block, F of floor on 1.

Assume the elevator is at rest. Rank the magnitude of the forces.
Rank from largest to smallest.

3kg block
V
2kg block
V
1kg block
v
elevator floor

The Attempt at a Solution

F of floor on 1 and F 1 on floor (equal), F of 3 on 2 and F of 2 on 3 (equal), F of 2 on 1 and F of 1 on 2 (equal), F of 3 on 1 and F of 1 on 3 (equal).

Is this ranking right? Thanks

I don't believe these are quite right. The ones you have identified as equal are equal, but there is one grouping out of place. How did you decide on the relative strengths?

Good morning alphysicist,
a)well I started thinking that most of the weight is on the 1kg block therefore the force that it puts on the floor must be equal to what the floor puts back on the block (N´s 3rd law).
b)However i wasnt really sure about the last one since I believed that the 3kg block doesn't directly put its force on the 1kg block,it is rather the force of block3 and the force of block 2 acting on the 1kg block.

Could you please tell me where my mistake is? Thank you

iluvphys said:
Good morning alphysicist,
a)well I started thinking that most of the weight is on the 1kg block therefore the force that it puts on the floor must be equal to what the floor puts back on the block (N´s 3rd law).
b)However i wasnt really sure about the last one since I believed that the 3kg block doesn't directly put its force on the 1kg block,it is rather the force of block3 and the force of block 2 acting on the 1kg block.

Those both sound right to me. It's the forces in the middle that I am thinking about.

Think about what each block is supporting. For example, the floor is supporting all three blocks (6kg of mass), so the floors force on the 1 kg mass is the largest force (and equal to the 1kg mass's reaction force on the floor).

Now think about what the 1kg mass is supporting and what the 2kg mass is supporting. Do you see what's wrong?

Oh you´re right.
I wasn´t really considering the two in the middle they seemed not really "important" in the beginning. But now i understand that Block 1 has a bigger impact on block 2 than block 3 has on 2, and the other way round!
Well, thanks again.

iluvphys said:
Oh you´re right.
I wasn´t really considering the two in the middle they seemed not really "important" in the beginning. But now i understand that Block 1 has a bigger impact on block 2 than block 3 has on 2, and the other way round!
Well, thanks again.

That's right, because the upward normal force from block 1 is supporting both blocks 2 and 3, while the upward normal force from block 2 is only supporting block 3.

Glad to help!

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles in physics that describe how objects move and interact with each other. They were first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to explain motion and forces in the physical world.

2. How do Newton's Laws apply to an elevator?

In an elevator, Newton's Laws apply to describe the motion and forces acting on objects inside the elevator. The first law states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This means that when the elevator is not moving, objects inside will stay at rest, but when the elevator is moving, objects will also move at the same speed and direction unless acted upon by a force such as gravity or friction.

3. What is the significance of Newton's First Law in an elevator?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, is significant in an elevator because it explains why objects inside the elevator do not suddenly move when the elevator starts or stops. This is because the objects have a tendency to maintain their state of motion unless a force acts upon them. So, when the elevator starts or stops, the objects inside will continue to move at the same speed and direction due to inertia.

4. How does Newton's Second Law apply to an elevator?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In an elevator, this means that the force exerted on an object by the elevator is directly related to its acceleration. So, when the elevator is accelerating upwards, the objects inside will experience a larger force compared to when the elevator is moving at a constant speed or decelerating.

5. What is the role of Newton's Third Law in an elevator?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In an elevator, this means that when the elevator is moving, there are equal and opposite forces acting on the objects inside and the elevator itself. This is why we feel a sense of weightlessness when the elevator is in freefall, as the force of gravity pulling us down is equal to the force of the elevator pushing us up.