1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton laws prob

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    a mass of m=6 kg is free to move without friction on a body with a mass of M=18 kg at an angle of theta=32 deg. M is placed on a friction free table. At the moment t=0 m is released from rest from the top of M at an height of H=4m .

At what moment does m reach to the table?

I'm uploading the question and my solution, which is t=1.54 s, while the correct answer should be t=1.08 s. I'd like to know what I did wrong...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    What do you mean "my reasoning"? I can't see why I got the wrong answer and I uploaded a detailed solution... Obviouslly I have a mistake along the way...

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4
    At the end of your attempt, you get the acceleration of m w.r.t. M. However, M itself is accelerated. It is not an inertial frame of reference and I do not see you have made any attempt to account for that.

Nor do I think it is required. I think all you need is conservation of energy and horizontal momentum.

6. Aug 5, 2012 #5
    But I did account for that, I got the acceleration of m w.r.t M using the Delambre force on m. And relative to M, m passed the distanc L did it not?

7. Aug 5, 2012 #6
    You may have tried, indeed. Problem is, I find it difficult to distinguish [itex]a_M[/itex] from [itex]a_m[/itex] in that picture. Could you post the equations here to avoid any misunderstanding?

8. Aug 5, 2012 #7
    The first 2 equations are on M and in the second one it's aM. and it says: "aM is the accerleration of M relative to the ground!".

The next equation is the Fy equation on m, and it says:

N+m*aM*sin(theta)-mgcos(theta)=0 where m*aM*sin(theta) is the Delambre force in the y axis direction of m's coordinate system (drawn at the right side of the picture)

After that linr I simply put N=(M*aM)/sin(theta) and after some calculations you get an expression for aM.

Afterwards the Fx equation for m is written and it says:

m*aM*cos(theta)+mgsin(theta)=m*am where m*aM*cos (theta) is the Delambre force in the x axis direction of m's coordinate system. After I put the expression I got for aM you can get an expression for am, which is the acceleration of m relative to M.

Hope this helps

9. Aug 5, 2012 #8
    I have followed your derivation and I cannot spot any problem with it.

Moreover, if your expression for [itex]a_m[/itex] is simplified, it can be seen that in the limit of infinite M it results in [itex]a_m = g sin \theta[/itex], as it should be for the immovable wedge, and in the limit of [itex]\theta → \pi / 2[/itex] it results in [itex]a_m = g[/itex], again as it should be. So I have strong reasons to believe that your solution is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook