1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton Rhapson + Graph Sketch

1. Feb 1, 2006 #1
    "By sketching appropriate graphs (one of them a straight line) show that the function
    f(x) = 2sin(x) - 3x + 2

has only one real root."

this one confuses me from the word go. how can you sketch a straight line of that function when it has sin as part of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem did say "graphs" (plural).
    How about y= 2 sin(x) and y= 3x- 2?

Where the graphs cross, 2 sin(x)= 3x- 2 so 3 sin(x)- 3x+ 2= 0.

(In the interest of beating a dead horse)
    Was that the exact wording of the problem? A function does not have "roots". A function has "zeroes", which are "roots" of the equation f(x)= 0.

If I saw something like "find the roots of f(x)= x2" I would think "x2= 1 or x2= 4 or x2= 1000...???"

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. Feb 1, 2006 #3
    yeah thats a word for word quote.

ok so i set the two functions up and compared them and they cross once at approx 1.3, 1.9

i thought that the 1.3 was the value that has to be used in the newton rhapson method, but the first iteration derivates so heavily from the origonal (i ended up with -0.49908) that i think im wrong.

EDIT: Yeah somethings wrong...the more iterations i do the more the number jumps around.

DOUBLE EDIT: Calculator was in wrong mode, im an idiot.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  5. Feb 1, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I wasn't going to mention it---

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?