Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton versus Einstein

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    Sorry guys, but this was the logical follow up of my previous thread. Your mission, if you choose to take it, is the following: who better "revolutionized" physics, Einstein or Newton? For now we will leave the question this simply, I may push for more clarifications later. Give your reasons.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Before we start, is this for some school project?

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3
    Yes, it's for the school of scientific enquiry...

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4
    Because some obviously seem timid to begin, I will start. My vote goes to Einstein, because he overturned a world of opinion that had, for the better part of two centuries, a world that pushed to operationalize physics. Newton was essentially working with a blank slate. That's not to knock Newton's accomplishments, Newton brought humanity out of the oblivion of ignorance of the physical sciences. However, he had no competition. You could argue that his achievements were on par with Galileo, someone who saw science where others just worried about money and their family, etc., but wanted to do more. Admirable. But Einstein really went outside the box to get to the heart of the matter. For Newton, physics was just one of several ways to merge with his creator.

6. Jan 24, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

I would say Newton, he made the box that Einstein was able to go outside of.

7. Jan 24, 2013 #6
    Newton don't study physics that time it was Natural Philoshphy. Also Gravitation and other don't influence the world,Apple till today fall on Earth just known why, it was the Atomic Bomb based on E=m^2.that changed world upside down, a new Sun on Surface of Earth.

My vote is for Einstein.

8. Jan 24, 2013 #7

jedishrfu

except that the engineers and scientists who built the bomb, airplane and equipment to extract the material for it used Newton's methods.

9. Jan 24, 2013 #8
    Actually, I think the major work done during the Manhattan project was based on quantum mechanics, not classical or relativity physics.

10. Jan 24, 2013 #9
    Because they not have velocity c,Newton's Laws applies to Real world and Einstein's simply Imagine or go advanced.

If something really Revoutionised the World then it is Electricity, Maxwell & Faraday.Newton didn't do anything which help mankind in living. The Question Newton Vs Einstein always comes but main point turn to who is the Genius.And who is your Role Model.

11. Jan 24, 2013 #10

jedishrfu

but all these scientists, Einstein included learned Newton's physics so you can't say he didn't influence them somehow once again he built a box that others stood on and Einstein jumped out of.

With respect to the equation E=mc^2 true it predicted the energy in an atom but it didn't show the way on how to extract it. Others did that using their Newtonian training did that with the help of Quantum Mechanics.

12. Jan 24, 2013 #11
    My opinion is that is that it is almost like comparing apples and oranges. Newton invented something out of nothing, whereas Einstein revolutionized the common understanding. These are two fundamentally different accomplishments qualitatively, but we tend to lump Newton and Einstein together in the same apple bag. But their achievements are qualitatively distinct. My question is that can we place an objective value on one over the other?

13. Jan 24, 2013 #12
    Both Explored their own Era and also both have different fields so its hard to campare, (not as easy Feynman Vs Dirac).Newton give their all law for Bulk particles (because Electron not discovered) and assume Mass a constant quantity. Today Quarks were discovered and if E=mc^2 don't explain that then his theory also come with restriction.

14. Jan 24, 2013 #13

jedishrfu

You PF name contains "Newton" twice so I rest my case...

15. Jan 24, 2013 #14

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My vote is Newton. Without Newton, I don't think Einstein would have the mathematics necessary for his work.

16. Jan 24, 2013 #15
    My PF name has only one n10Newton, N is for my Real Name, 10 is my Rank in International Physics Olympiad and last one Newton.

17. Jan 24, 2013 #16
    Remember, the OP's (mine) post was who better "revolutionized" physics.

18. Jan 24, 2013 #17
    "Revolutionized" as defined by google says "Verb; Change (something) radically or fundamentally."

In this sense I suppose I would say Einstein because what he did was more about changing what we had rather than inventing something new. Inventing new things is not as much "revolutionizing" as changing existing things is.

19. Jan 24, 2013 #18
    Wow, someone finally gives us a sensible comment

20. Jan 24, 2013 #19

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, he wasn't. "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

He had no competition because he stands head and shoulders above any other physicist (IMO of course). Einstein doesn't compare; no one does.

I don't even know if I would put Einstein in second position. There are so many others to consider. Before Newton's time, Galileo, Brahmagupta, Archimedes. Between Newton and Einstein, Lagrange, Hamilton, Maxwell. During the 20th century, a whole slew of contenders.

Top slot is easy though. It's Newton.

21. Jan 24, 2013 #20

jedishrfu

You could make that same case with Newton though as he changed the way people thought about the world by bringing together all the disparate knowledge of the day under one roof. Before Newton many people had a sense of how things worked in specific cases such as the Romans knowing the torsion law was a cube root and not a square root or Kepler's emperical results on planetary motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook