What Force is Needed for 1.5 m/s² Acceleration in the +y Direction?

In summary, the problem involves finding an additional force, represented by xi + yj, that will cause an object of mass 2.5kg to accelerate in the +y direction with magnitude 1.5m/s/s. Using the equations Fnet = ma, F = Fsin\theta, and Fnet = F1 + F2 + F3 + etc..., and taking into account the x and y components of each force, it can be determined that the third force must have a magnitude of approximately 0.91N in the +x direction and 2.3N in the +y direction in order for the object to accelerate as specified.
DaOneEnOnly

Homework Statement

Two forces act on an object of mass 2.5kg; force F1 that is directed alont the +x-direction and has magnitude of .50N and force F2 that points at a 45 degree angle in the +y and -x quadrant and has magnitude 2.0N. Find the additional force, if any such that the object will accelerate in the +y direction with magnitude 1.5m/s/s.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fnet=F1+F2+F3+etc...
F=Fsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnety= F2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]+FX-Fg

FX= missing force= ?
Fnety= (2.5kg)(1.5m/s/s)= 3.75N
F2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]= 1.414N
Fg= 2.5*9.8=24.5N

3.75 = FX + 1.414 -24.5
FX= 26.84N

I'm not sure if I'm even trying to go about the problem correctly.

The selected answers in the back of the book has the answer as:
(0.91N)i+(2.3N)j

so I'm really confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the third force be xi + yj.
Take x and y components of all the three forces. Since the resultant force is along y axis, total x-component must be zero.
Hence total y component must be equal to ...?

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few errors. Firstly, the equation F=ma should be used to find the net force in the y-direction, not the x-direction. Secondly, the equation F=Fsinθ is only applicable when the force is acting at an angle to the horizontal, which is not the case for F1. Lastly, you have used the value for F1 in your calculation for F2sinθ, which is incorrect.

The correct approach would be to first find the net force in the y-direction:
Fnet_y = F2sin45° - Fg = 1.414N - 24.5N = -23.086N

Then, use the equation F=ma to solve for the missing force:
F = ma
F = (2.5kg)(1.5m/s^2)
F = 3.75N

Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the missing force:
F = √(Fx^2 + Fnet_y^2)
3.75N = √(Fx^2 + (-23.086N)^2)
Fx = √(3.75N^2 - (-23.086N)^2)
Fx = 22.961N

Therefore, the missing force in the x-direction is 22.961N. To find the direction of this force, we can use the inverse tangent function:
θ = tan^-1(Fnet_y/Fx)
θ = tan^-1(-23.086N/22.961N)
θ = -45°

So the force Fx = 22.961N is acting at a 45° angle in the -x and -y quadrant. Therefore, the additional force needed to accelerate the object in the +y direction with a magnitude of 1.5m/s^2 is:
F = (22.961N)cos(-45°)i + (22.961N)sin(-45°)j
F = (16.24N)i + (-16.24N)j
F = (0.91N)i + (2.3N)j

This matches the answer given in the back of the book.

1. What is Newtonian force problem?

The Newtonian force problem is a concept in classical mechanics that involves using Newton's laws of motion to analyze the forces acting on a system and predict its motion.

2. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How do you solve a Newtonian force problem?

To solve a Newtonian force problem, you would first identify all the forces acting on the system, then use Newton's second law to determine the net force and acceleration of the system. From there, you can use equations of motion to calculate the displacement, velocity, and time of the system.

4. What is the role of friction in Newtonian force problems?

Friction is an important factor in Newtonian force problems as it is a force that opposes motion and can affect the acceleration and velocity of a system. In many cases, the force of friction must be included in calculations to accurately predict the motion of a system.

5. What are some real-world applications of Newtonian force problems?

Newtonian force problems have a wide range of real-world applications, from predicting the motion of objects in everyday life, such as a ball rolling down a hill, to analyzing the forces acting on complex systems, such as satellites in orbit. They are also used in engineering to design structures and machines, as well as in physics research to understand the behavior of particles and systems on a microscopic level.