1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtonian Motion Simulation

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    Euler's Method, Runge Kutta 4th Order Method

3. The attempt at a solution

I have solved the motion equation for the above question using Euler's Method and Runge Kutta method. Using C language, I have compiled the variation of angle, angular velocity, angular acceleration, displacement, velocity and the acceleration of the cart and the pendulum with respect to time in the time interval of 60 seconds.

I wish to simulate the motion of the cart. Which software should I use to simulate the motion? Would C code for such simulation difficult to make?

Thanks in advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2
    Use whatever language you're comfortable with. C is fine for this since it isn't very complicated.

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    I have tried to look for web resources for the simulation. But most of the resources are not too helpful. Is there any graphic library of Mingw compiler? Thanks in advanced.

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4
    Oh you need to DRAW the simulation? I suggest using either Java or MATLAB then.

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    Did you compile the velocity and displacement at 60 seconds intervals, or did you integrate using Runge-Kutta at 60 second intervals?
    If it is the latter, there is a little problem, because the cart is running down at 0.5g and it goes far after 60 seconds.

There are graphics packages similar to the Borland C graphics available to Linux users for the MingW compiler. I have looked for it but have not tried it yet. If you are familiar with Java, it provides very good tools for graphics simulations. Alternatively, if you have access to Borland C, it provides a simple but practical package. Not forgetting VB.net or C#, they all provide graphics capabilities when speed is not critical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?