1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's 2nd Law and Orbital Motion

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    Here's the problem...unfortunately I don't remember much about orbital motion. I'm a bit stuck on where to begin. If somebody could give me a little advice on how to tackle this problem I would appreciate it.

Recall that the magnetic force on a charge q moving with velocity v in a magnetic field B is equal to qvXB. If a charged particle moves in a circular orbit with a fixed speed v in the presence of a constant magnetic field, use the relativistic form of Newton's 2nd law to show that the frequency of its orbital motion is

f=((qB)/(2pim))(1-(v^2/c^2))^(1/2)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the speed is constant then

[tex]\frac {d \vec v}{dt} = \vec v \times \vec \Omega[/tex]

where [itex]\vec \Omega = q \vec B / m_0[/itex]. There are a number of ways to proceed from here but it should be apparent that the same analysis you did in the classical case will work except that B is replaced by [itex]B / \gamma[/itex] from which your result follows.

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    still stuck

Still stuck since I don't really remember the classical case.

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In that case, consider ...

[tex]\frac {d v_x} {dt} = \Omega v_y[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac {d v_y} {dt } = - \Omega v_x[/tex]

Differentiate, say, the first and substitute the second into the first:

[tex]\frac {d^2 v_x} {dt^2} = - \Omega^2 v_x[/tex]

from which it should be evident that the motion is sinusoidal with frequency [itex]\Omega[/itex].

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?