1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's 2nd Law applied

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    I am trying to explain why a small object falling from a short distance on another object does not have the same impact as a bigger object falling from the same height on another object by using Newton's 2nd Law but I get stuck all the time.
    Can somebody please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2
    Where do you get stuck? You speak of comparing the "impact", I read that as comparing the force of impact. There is a force in newton's second law. I would set that equation up for each situation and compare the forces.

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

The falling object is moving at some speed when it strikes its target. A very short time later it has stopped. Therefore it has experienced some acceleration. The force of the impact is what causes that acceleration. According to Newton's second law, how is the force related to the mass?

5. Oct 21, 2015 #4
    The force equals the mass times the acceleration.

6. Oct 21, 2015 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And so...... Where is the problem that you are having here?

Even trying to deal with your question via qualitative, hand-waving way, the fact that the force of impact here is dependent on the mass should already give you the ability to address your original post, don't you think so?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook