1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's 2nd Law confusing!

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    A helicopter is moving horizontally to the right at a constant velocity. The weight of the helicopter is W = 57600 N. The lift force L generated by the rotating blade makes an angle of 21.0° with respect to the vertical.

(a) What is the magnitude of the lift force in N?

(b) Determine the magnitude of the air resistance R that opposes the motion.

I used [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx= max--> 0 (because constant velocity means 0 acceleration)= Lsin(21)

and [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy= may-->Lcos21-57600

now I dont know what to do. What did i do wrong?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    Hi PhysicsFailure!

I am a new member and somewhat new to physics compared to most here but I think I can help you out on this one.

First, we know that the helicopter is not accelerating in either the X OR Y directions (it is moving strictly horizontally). For this reason, the sum of all forces in each direction is 0, not just X.

Have you tried drawing a simple diagram, with the helicopter represented as a point at the origin, the weight acting downward, and the force of lift acting upward at an angle of 21 degrees to the Y axis?

I think if you set the Y equation you already have to 0, the force of lift will become apparent. From here, figure what component of that lift on the X axis must be matched by the air resistance for the copter to not have any acceleration (sum of X forces=0)

Let me know if you get it!
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    So far so good! It looks as though you've done everything right.

"I used [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx= max--> 0 (because constant velocity means 0 acceleration)= Lsin(21)"

So then what is the force due to air resistance?

"and [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy= may-->Lcos21-57600"

Part a is asking for L. How would you solve for L in this case?

Keep in mind that because there is no vertical acceleration, the net force in the y direction will also be zero.

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4
    haha thanks so much bchandler and mattowander. I actually figured out what I was not doing. I could just solve it! and for some reason i was just not thinking...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?