Newton's 2nd Law Force Problem

XIn summary, to solve for the second force acting on the box in the overhead view, we can use Newton's second law and break down the forces into their x and y components. By plugging in the given values for F1, mass, and acceleration, we can solve for F2 and then find its magnitude and direction using the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent. Make sure to include the negative sign in the direction, as it is measured from the +x direction.
BrainHurtsxyz

Homework Statement

There are two forces on the 1.97 kg box in the overhead view of Fig. 5-31 but only one is shown. For F1 = 27.6 N, a = 11.1 m/s2, and θ = 31.9°, find the second force (a) in unit-vector notation and as (b) a magnitude and (c) a direction. (State the direction as a negative angle measured from the +x direction.)

The diagram shown is a Box with F1 ------> and acceleration pointing 31.9 degrees southwest of the Y-axis.

Homework Equations

F2= mx - F1

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea... I first tried to solve for the x and y component of the above equation and I wound up getting a messed up answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then I tried to use the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent to solve for the magnitude and direction but that also didn't work. Can someone please help me understand how to solve this problem?
Thank you for your question. Based on the information provided, it seems like you are trying to solve for the second force acting on the box in the overhead view. To do this, we can use Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, we have two forces acting on the box: F1 and F2. We can write this as the following equation:

ΣF = m*a

Where ΣF is the sum of all the forces acting on the box, m is the mass of the box, and a is its acceleration.

Now, let's break down the forces into their x and y components. F1 is already given in unit-vector notation, so we can simply write it as:

F1 = 27.6 N (cos 31.9° i + sin 31.9° j)

To find F2, we need to use the equation you mentioned: F2 = m*a - F1. Since we know the mass and acceleration of the box, we can plug in those values and solve for F2. This will give us the x and y components of F2.

Once we have the x and y components of F2, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find its magnitude, and inverse tangent to find its direction. Remember to include the negative sign in the direction, as it is measured from the +x direction.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!
Scientist

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem?

Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences.

2. How is Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem expressed mathematically?

The mathematical expression for Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem is F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the significance of Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem?

Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, which is crucial in the study of motion and mechanics.

4. How do you solve a problem using Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem?

To solve a problem using Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem, you need to identify the force acting on the object, its mass, and the acceleration it experiences. Then, plug these values into the equation F=ma to calculate the force.

5. Can Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem be applied to all situations?

No, Newton's 2nd Law of Force Problem is only applicable in situations where the mass of the object remains constant and the acceleration is caused by a net force acting on the object.