1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons 2nd Law Problems

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    I really need help with this question. Ive tried solving it but i just cant do it.

The question

A loaded dump-truck having a total mass of 2.4*10power of 4 kg is travelling east at 85km/h.The truck driver can apply a braking force of 5.5*10 power of 4 to the wheels without causing the wheels to lock and skid. Calulate:
    A)the maxium negative acceleration of this trunk.(in m/s2)
    B)the minimum stopping time
    C)the minimum stopping distance

The only thing I know is the mass. I know you are supposed to use the 85km/h for something I can not figure out for what.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A) Newtons 2nd Law. What is it? As the truck brakes, what is the only unbalanced force on it?

4. Oct 7, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, one has a mass 24000 kg, and a braking force of 55000 N (I guess N) based on the problem.

a) Apply F = ma, or a = F/m.

b) From a and the initial velocity, 85km/h (convert to m/s) compute the time that it takes for the truck to decelerate to v = 0 m/s.

c) From a and the initial velocity, compute the distance for the truck to decelerate to v = 0 m/s.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/newt.html#ntcon

5. Oct 7, 2006 #4
    what is 85km/h

what does 85km/h stand for and what do I use it for

6. Oct 8, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

85 kilometers per hour, I'd venture.

- Warren

7. Oct 8, 2006 #6
    That's your initial velocity and you have to do something with the units. Refer to the link Astronuc put up for the constant acceleration equations.

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the help i tried your methods and they seem to work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?