How Does Newton's 2nd Law Apply to a Skateboard Pushed by a Cane?

In summary, a man walking with a cane applies a force of 115N at an angle of 60 degrees to a 3.5 kg skateboard, causing it to accelerate at 19.3 m/s2 and a horizontal force of 67.55 N. However, after double checking calculations, it was found that the correct values are a horizontal force of 58 N and an initial acceleration of 16 m/s2. The discrepancy was due to the calculator being set on gradients instead of degrees.
HelloMotto

Homework Statement

A man walking with aid of a cane approaches a skateboard (mass 3.5 kg) lying on the sidewalkk. Pushing with an angle of 60 down from the horizontal with his cane, he applies a force of 115N, which is enough to roll the skateboard out of the way.
a) calculate the horizontal force acting on the skateboard
b) calculate the initial acceleration of the skateboard.

The Attempt at a Solution

Fa = ma
115cos60 = 3.5(a)
a = 19.3 m/s2
Fx = 67.55 N.

My answer was wroung T_T
what did i miss?

Physics news on Phys.org
the setup looks right. did you double check your calculations? i got different answers.

edit: looks like your calculator is set on gradients, not degrees.

yea I am pretty sure i did. But the answer is supposed to be 58 N and 16m/s2

edit : lol i feel like an idiot >< thank you

What is Newton's 2nd law?

Newton's 2nd law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Likewise, the heavier an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

What is the equation for Newton's 2nd law?

The equation for Newton's 2nd law is F=ma, where F is the net force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. This equation can also be rewritten as a=F/m and m=F/a.

How does Newton's 2nd law relate to everyday life?

Newton's 2nd law can be seen in many everyday situations, such as a car accelerating when the gas pedal is pressed, or a ball rolling down a hill. It also explains why it is easier to push a shopping cart when it is empty compared to when it is full. The more mass an object has, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's 2nd law?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In Newton's 2nd law, mass is a constant that affects an object's acceleration, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

How does Newton's 2nd law apply to objects in motion?

When an object is in motion, it will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. When a force is applied to an object, it will accelerate in the same direction as the force. For example, a ball rolling on a flat surface will continue rolling at a constant speed unless a force, such as friction, acts upon it.