Newton's 2nd Law with Friction

In summary: When the lift is moving up with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g + a)When the lift is moving down with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g - a).In part (a), find the net frictional force on B and equate it to the apparent weight of B to find a.F=ma should give you a.In summary, the man is trying to determine the acceleration of the elevator and finds that F=ma. In part (b), he calculates the net frictional force on block B and finds that it is equal to the apparent weight of block B.
Oblivion77

Homework Statement

A man standing in an elevator that is moving with a constant acceleration holds a 3-kg block B between two other blocks in such a way that the motion of B relative to A and C is impending. Knowing that the coefficients of friction between all surfaces are μs = 0.30 and μk = 0.25, determine (a) the acceleration of the elevator if it is moving upward and each of the forces exerted by the man on blocks A and C has a horizontal component equal to twice the weight of B, (b) the horizontal components of the forces exerted by the man on blocks A and C if the acceleration of the elevator is 2.0 m/s2 downward

2rzammx.png

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd law
sum of the forces in x = 0
sum of the forces in y = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on part a. I tried drawing a FBD of block B to find the acceleration of the elevator but it didn't work out.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the lift is moving up with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g + a)
When the lift is moving down with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g - a).
In part (a), find the net frictional force on B and equate it to the apparent weight of B to find a.

Hi Oblivion77! :wink:
Oblivion77 said:
I tried drawing a FBD of block B to find the acceleration of the elevator but it didn't work out.

It should have done :confused: … F = ma should give you a.

Show us your full calculations, and then we can see what went wrong. :smile:
rl.bhat said:
When the lift is moving up with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g + a)
When the lift is moving down with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g - a).

Surely the acceleration of B is always a? :confused:

Hi there,
I did the work assuming that block B was not moving i.e. force < UsN where N was the force applied horizontal by blocks A and C and got answers for both parts A, and B.
How would I know that block B was not moving in which case i would use Uk instead of Us. My prof said I would have to assume it was not moving and test to see if F <= UsN if not then F= UkN, but don't know how I would do that in this case.

Thanks!

mannie said:
Hi there,
I did the work assuming that block B was not moving i.e. force < UsN where N was the force applied horizontal by blocks A and C and got answers for both parts A, and B.
How would I know that block B was not moving in which case i would use Uk instead of Us. My prof said I would have to assume it was not moving and test to see if F <= UsN if not then F= UkN, but don't know how I would do that in this case.

Thanks!

Hi mannie! :smile:

(are you the same person as Oblivion77? have a mu anyway: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Just calculate F as the vertical force necessary to keep B stationary …

then if F ≤ µsN, the available force (of static friction) is sufficient … if not, then it isn't, and some other force would be needed (and of course that other force would have to make up the difference, not between F and µsN, but between F and µkN). :smile:

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law with Friction?

Newton's 2nd Law with Friction is a physical law that states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This law takes into account the presence of friction, which is a force that opposes motion and is caused by the contact between two surfaces.

2. How is friction incorporated into Newton's 2nd Law?

Friction is incorporated into Newton's 2nd Law by adding a frictional force term to the equation. This frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force, which is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it.

3. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can significantly affect the motion of an object by slowing it down or preventing it from moving altogether. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, making it harder for the object to accelerate.

4. How do you calculate the net force with friction?

To calculate the net force with friction, you must first determine the forces acting on the object, including the frictional force. Then, use Newton's 2nd Law equation, F=ma, and substitute the frictional force for F. The net force will be the sum of all the forces acting on the object, including friction.

5. How can friction be reduced in a given situation?

Friction can be reduced in a given situation by either decreasing the normal force or decreasing the coefficient of friction. This can be achieved by using lubricants, changing the surface materials, or altering the angle of the surfaces in contact. In some cases, friction can also be reduced by increasing the speed of the object.