1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's 2nd Law with Friction

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man standing in an elevator that is moving with a constant acceleration holds a 3-kg block B between two other blocks in such a way that the motion of B relative to A and C is impending. Knowing that the coefficients of friction between all surfaces are μs = 0.30 and μk = 0.25, determine (a) the acceleration of the elevator if it is moving upward and each of the forces exerted by the man on blocks A and C has a horizontal component equal to twice the weight of B, (b) the horizontal components of the forces exerted by the man on blocks A and C if the acceleration of the elevator is 2.0 m/s2 downward

2rzammx.png

2. Relevant equations

newton's 2nd law
    sum of the forces in x = 0
    sum of the forces in y = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I am stuck on part a. I tried drawing a FBD of block B to find the acceleration of the elevator but it didn't work out.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the lift is moving up with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g + a)
    When the lift is moving down with an acceleration a, the net acceleration is ( g - a).
    In part (a), find the net frictional force on B and equate it to the apparent weight of B to find a.

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Oblivion77! :wink:
    It should have done :confused: … F = ma should give you a.

Show us your full calculations, and then we can see what went wrong. :smile:
    Surely the acceleration of B is always a? :confused:

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4
    Hi there,
    I did the work assuming that block B was not moving i.e. force < UsN where N was the force applied horizontal by blocks A and C and got answers for both parts A, and B.
    How would I know that block B was not moving in which case i would use Uk instead of Us. My prof said I would have to assume it was not moving and test to see if F <= UsN if not then F= UkN, but don't know how I would do that in this case.

Thanks!

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mannie! :smile:

(are you the same person as Oblivion77? have a mu anyway: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Just calculate F as the vertical force necessary to keep B stationary …

then if F ≤ µsN, the available force (of static friction) is sufficient … if not, then it isn't, and some other force would be needed (and of course that other force would have to make up the difference, not between F and µsN, but between F and µkN). :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook