Newton's 2nd Law: Determine Force Magnitude (6.05 N, 6.1 m/s, 2.5 kg)

In summary, a 2.5 kg mass is accelerating at 6.1 m/s in a direction 37° north of east. One of the forces acting on the mass is 6.05 N directed north. To determine the magnitude of the second force, we can use the equation F = ma, where a = 6.1 m/s2. Therefore, the magnitude of the second force is 14.85 N.
liamtcarroll
A 2.5 kg mass accelerates at 6.1 m/s
in adirection 37◦north of east. One of the two
forces acting on the mass has a magnitude of
6.05 N and is directed north.
Determine the magnitude of the second
force.
Answer in units of N
I know you have to break it up into multiple components, but otherwise i don't have a clue of what to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

If a mass accelerates in a certain direction, the net force applied to the mass must act in the same direction.

F = ma is a vector equation.

ya, key word here is net force, two forces accelerating at 6.1m/s/s, one of which was given, just get the N and magnitude correct for the other.

if you are the marker for my exam, i think i'll be gone! amended the units for acceleration...hahaha

Last edited:

Just pointing out the acceleration is 6.1 m/s2. It was beginning to bug me now that I've seen it in multiple threads :-)

According to Newton's Second Law, the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In this scenario, the mass is 2.5 kg and the acceleration is 6.1 m/s^2 in a direction 37 degrees north of east. This means that the net force acting on the object is given by:

Fnet = m * a
Fnet = (2.5 kg) * (6.1 m/s^2)
Fnet = 15.25 N

Since one of the two forces acting on the object has a magnitude of 6.05 N and is directed north, we can use vector addition to determine the magnitude of the second force. Since the direction of the second force is not specified, we can assume it is in the east direction, opposite to the direction of the acceleration.

Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the magnitude of the second force as:

F2^2 = Fnet^2 - F1^2
F2^2 = (15.25 N)^2 - (6.05 N)^2
F2^2 = 232.56 N^2 - 36.6 N^2
F2^2 = 195.96 N^2
F2 = 14 N

Therefore, the magnitude of the second force is approximately 14 N.

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you determine force magnitude using Newton's Second Law?

To determine force magnitude, you need to know the mass and acceleration of the object. Then, you can use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the unit of force in Newton's Second Law?

The unit of force in Newton's Second Law is Newton (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

4. How do you calculate the force magnitude in this problem (6.05 N, 6.1 m/s, 2.5 kg)?

To calculate the force magnitude, we can use the formula F = ma. Plugging in the given values, we get F = (2.5 kg) * (6.1 m/s^2) = 15.25 N.

5. How does Newton's Second Law relate to real-world situations?

Newton's Second Law is applicable to many real-world situations, such as calculating the force needed to push a car, the force of gravity pulling objects towards the Earth, and the force exerted on a rocket during liftoff. It helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in various scenarios.