Solve Acceleration of 2.0 kg Block in Newton's 3rd Law Problem

• Thread starter pingpong240
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the acceleration of a 2.0 kg block being pulled by a rope with a tension force of 28 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the surface is 0.40, and the same coefficient applies to the friction between the lower block and the upper block. The conversation includes a discussion on how to set up the equations using Newton's 2nd and 3rd Laws. After some calculations, it is determined that the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block is 2.8 m/s^2.
pingpong240
The lower block in Figure P8.28 is pulled on by a rope with a tension force of F = 28 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the surface is 0.40. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the upper block is also 0.40. What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?
p8-28alt.gif
Relevant Equations
f_k = uN
Newton's 2nd and 3rd Laws

What I Did
Well I made two systems, one with the block on the bottom (block 1) and one with the block on the top (block 2). Now one thing that seemed confusing to me was that block 1 was being pulled with a force of 28 N, but in the picture the force is depicted going away from the wall. I'm not too sure where block 2 comes into play, other than enacting a frictional force on block 1. So this is how I have Newton's 2nd law set up:

Force_1x = friction(2 on 1) + friction (floor on 1) - 28 N
= .4 (1) + .4(2) - 28 N
Force_1y = 0
Force_2x = 28 N - friction(1 on 2)
= 28 N - .4(2)
Force_2y = 0

But this gets me a somewhat high acceleration, that is not right.
As you can see, I'm doing something seriously wrong here. Please help me with this problem!

Attachments

• p8-28alt.gif
    p8-28alt.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
Force_1x = friction(2 on 1) + friction (floor on 1) - 28 N = .4 (1) + .4(2) - 28 N

The total frictional force is 1*0.40 + 3*0.40.

Both blocks are resting on the floor.

OK so that gives me a force of -26.4 N in the x direction. I divided by the mass of the bottom block, 2 kg, to get an acceleration of -13.2 m/s^2. I tried dividing by the total mass to get -8.8 m/s^2, which didn't work either. Is there some way that I set up Newton's second law wrong other than that? Also, did I make the right assumption with the direction of the tension, is it a negative tension because it is being pulled left? Or is it a positive force that is directed right as in the picture? I appreciate all of your help.

Last edited:
Can anyone offer their insight?

you are forgetting about the tension caused by the rope in your force diagram. Heres what I came up with

[tex] \sum F_2 = m_2 a_2 = F_a - F_{f2g} -F_{f21} -T [/tex]
[tex] \sum F_1 = m_1 a_1 = F_{f1} - T [/tex]

hints: a1=-a2, the only unknown variable is T...

i've got one more stab at this question...so i have to make sure that i get it right...
so what is F_a, is that the tension force? I'm not sure i understand. also, when you say the force of 2 on 1, you mean block 2 on 1 right? and the lower block is moving to the left, correct? I'm quite confused, i thought the tension force was 28 N...

Last edited:
Fa=28N
F2g= frictional force between 2 and ground (floor).
F12= frictional force between 1 and 2.

so when you say a_2, you say that is the acceleration of the block on the floor? I'm working it out right now...

OK here's what I did. For the record I am not at all confident in my answer :(...yet the accelerations seem to agree well...
Following the format above, I did this:
28 - 7.84 - 3.92 - T = 2* a_2
7.84 - T = 1* a_1
I messed around with the equations to get T=10.64 N a_2 = 2.8 m/s^2 and a_1 = -2.8 m/s^2

So I suppose this answers the question with -2.8 m/s^2...
So nervous to put it in and see if it's right, does it seem logical?

Last edited:
Since the question was "What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?": the answer should be 2.8 m/s^2(if your calculations are correct). for a2=-a1...

Last edited:
Yeah it's 2.8 m/s^2. Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate everyone's help! The clarifications helped out greatly Ahmed. I understand how to do these types of problems now. Someday maybe I'll help all of you out ;) ...after I actually learn how to do all of these things that is...

Last edited:

1. What is the acceleration of a 2.0 kg block in Newton's 3rd Law problem?

The acceleration of a 2.0 kg block in Newton's 3rd Law problem is determined by the net force acting on the block. This net force is equal to the mass of the block multiplied by its acceleration, according to Newton's second law of motion (F=ma). Therefore, to find the acceleration, you would need to know the magnitude and direction of all the forces acting on the block.

2. How do you apply Newton's 3rd Law to solve for acceleration in this problem?

To apply Newton's 3rd Law in solving for acceleration, you need to identify the action-reaction force pair acting on the block. The action force is the force applied by one object on another, while the reaction force is the force applied by the second object back on the first. These two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, and by using them in Newton's second law equation, you can solve for the acceleration of the block.

3. Can you explain how Newton's 3rd Law relates to acceleration in this problem?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this problem, the block is experiencing a net force due to the action-reaction force pair acting on it. This net force causes the block to accelerate in the direction of the net force. So, the acceleration of the block is directly related to the forces acting on it, as described by Newton's 3rd Law.

4. What units are used to measure acceleration in this problem?

In this problem, acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit represents the change in velocity per unit of time, and it is a standard unit in the metric system. Other units that are commonly used to measure acceleration include feet per second squared (ft/s^2) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding acceleration in Newton's 3rd Law problem?

Understanding acceleration in Newton's 3rd Law problem has many real-world applications. For example, engineers use this concept to design and build structures and machines that can withstand forces and accelerate objects efficiently. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in space, such as satellites and rockets. Additionally, understanding acceleration is crucial in sports, such as car racing and track and field, as it helps athletes optimize their movements for maximum speed and efficiency.