1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons Constant Help

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    Hello my name is Kainaan i just joined this forum, im 14 and i love every related to physics, i study quantum hysics and general relativity. I have a question about newtons constant, i have been reading on the Schwarzchild radius and came across the equation for it, in the eqaution it has the variable G wich stands for newtons constant, i understand all of the other stuff in the equation and i know what newtons constant is (6.7 x 10 to the -11), but i dont understand what it means like what it is.

if you could please explain it to me that would be awesome, i hope to talk to you all about other physics topics in the near future.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums!

In some sense, G is a measure of the strength of gravity. If G were larger, gravity would be stronger; if G were smaller, gravity would be weaker.

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    but isnt G a constant and therefor always the same, so i can not be larger or smaller its just always the same thing.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

JesseM

Science Advisor

Yeah, but you can imagine a different universe where the constant takes a different value, and figure out how the behavior of matter and energy would be different in that universe. Although, there are problems with talking about changes to values of non-dimensionless constants like G or the speed of light...see the discussion here, and see here for a list of dimensionless constants (all particle masses can be made dimensionless by dividing by the Planck mass).

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. The idea is to imagine universes that have different values of G than the value of G that we measure in reality.

If in an imaginary universe G is larger than what we really measure, gravity in the imagined universe would be stronger that it is in our universe; if in an imaginary universe G is smaller than what we really measure, gravity in the imagined universe would be weaker that it is in our universe.

Edit: JesseM was faster.

7. Apr 28, 2010 #6
    ok now i understand thanks for the help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook