Newtons first and second laws

In summary, the problem involves a 3600kg jet landing on an aircraft carrier at 250km/h and coming to a stop in 180m using a parachute. The question is asking for the average force of air on the parachute, assuming it provides all the stopping force. This can be solved using the equations v2=v02+2as or Ft = change in momentum, or even the work-energy theorem.
ghostrider989
1. A 3600 jet touches down at 250 on the deck of an aircraft carrier and immediately deploys a parachute to slow itself down. If the plane comes to a stop in 180 , what is the average force of air on the parachute? Assume the parachute provides essentially all the stopping force.

2. Fnet= mass*acceleration, a=v/t, v=p/t

3. M=3600kg
v=250km/h
p=180

v=p/t 180m/25000m/h convert the kilometers to meters t=7.2e^-4*3600
t=2.592

250000m(1/3600sec)= 69.4 m/s

fnet=ma

m=3600

fnet=3600kg(69.4(m/s)/(2.592 s)= 96450N

i tried doing it but i keep on getting it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
]1. A 3600kg jet touches down at 250km/h on the deck of an aircraft carrier and immediately deploys a parachute to slow itself down. If the plane comes to a stop in 180m , what is the average force of air on the parachute? Assume the parachute provides essentially all the stopping force.

I was thinking about using v2=v02+2a deltat

am i on the right track if i do that

If you're asking whether or not using the equation v squared = v0 squared + 2as would help you, then yes you would be on the right track.

Another way to solve this would be by using the impulse momentum theorem Ft = change in momentum.

Hope this helps!

Yes you can use that equation to find acceleration.

Mattowander said:
If you're asking whether or not using the equation v squared = v0 squared + 2as would help you, then yes you would be on the right track.

Another way to solve this would be by using the impulse momentum theorem Ft = change in momentum.

Hope this helps!

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the work-energy theorem? I mean, you're given the distance over which the force acts, not the time interval.

cepheid said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to use the work-energy theorem? I mean, you're given the distance over which the force acts, not the time interval.

Now that I think about it yes :)

Just goes to show that there are many different ways to solve a given problem.

What is Newton's first law?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant speed and direction, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

How are Newton's first and second laws related?

Newton's first law is essentially a special case of his second law. It can be seen as saying that when the net force acting on an object is equal to zero, the acceleration is also equal to zero, which means the object will remain at rest or in a state of constant velocity.

What is an example of Newton's first law in action?

An example of Newton's first law is when a car is in motion and suddenly stops, the passengers continue to move forward due to their inertia until they are stopped by the seatbelt or the airbag.

What is an example of Newton's second law in action?

An example of Newton's second law is when a person pushes a shopping cart with a force of 10N and the cart accelerates at 2 m/s², the mass of the cart can be calculated by dividing the force by the acceleration, giving a mass of 5 kg.