1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's gravitational theory

1. Nov 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I wanted a proof that an object's center of gravity is the same as the center of mass by breaking the object into tiny pieces and then integrating over them.
    2. Relevant equations
    Well, the gravitational equation g=Gm1m2/r^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using some calc three to integrate a uniform sphere using spherical shells. However, my answer wasn't working out and I would like a much more general proof.

Well, I just learned that the center of mass is different from the center of gravity of earth because the gravitational field isn't uniform. Assuming gravity is uniform, how can we prove that the sum of all of the gravities are as gravity as a whole were acting on its center of mass?
    coolbob13579@gmail.com

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The centre of mass of a body is different from its centre of gravity in a non-uniform field. I don't know why you wrote "of earth" at the end. If earth is the body, is it the sun's field?
    You would need to show that there is no net torque about the mass centre. It is not difficult.

4. Nov 10, 2016 #3

The 'gravitational equation is F = Gm1m2/r^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted