Newton's gravitational theory

In summary: The attempt at a solution used 'calc three' to integrate a uniform sphere, but the answer wasn't working out. Coolbob suggests a more general proof, which would require showing that there is no net torque about the mass center. This is not difficult, and can be done using Newton's 3rd law of motion.
Steve Cox

Homework Statement

I wanted a proof that an object's center of gravity is the same as the center of mass by breaking the object into tiny pieces and then integrating over them.

Homework Equations

Well, the gravitational equation g=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using some calc three to integrate a uniform sphere using spherical shells. However, my answer wasn't working out and I would like a much more general proof.

Well, I just learned that the center of mass is different from the center of gravity of Earth because the gravitational field isn't uniform. Assuming gravity is uniform, how can we prove that the sum of all of the gravities are as gravity as a whole were acting on its center of mass?
coolbob13579@gmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve Cox said:
the center of mass is different from the center of gravity of earth
The centre of mass of a body is different from its centre of gravity in a non-uniform field. I don't know why you wrote "of earth" at the end. If Earth is the body, is it the sun's field?
Steve Cox said:
Assuming gravity is uniform, how can we prove that the sum of all of the gravities are as gravity as a whole were acting on its center of mass?
You would need to show that there is no net torque about the mass centre. It is not difficult.

Steve Cox said:

Homework Statement

I wanted a proof that an object's center of gravity is the same as the center of mass by breaking the object into tiny pieces and then integrating over them.

Homework Equations

Well, the gravitational equation g=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using some calc three to integrate a uniform sphere using spherical shells. However, my answer wasn't working out and I would like a much more general proof.

Well, I just learned that the center of mass is different from the center of gravity of Earth because the gravitational field isn't uniform. Assuming gravity is uniform, how can we prove that the sum of all of the gravities are as gravity as a whole were acting on its center of mass?
coolbob13579@gmail.com
The 'gravitational equation is F = Gm1m2/r^2

1. What is Newton's gravitational theory?

Newton's gravitational theory, also known as the law of universal gravitation, is a scientific law proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How did Newton come up with his gravitational theory?

Newton's gravitational theory was developed based on his observation of falling objects and the motion of planets around the Sun. He combined this with his laws of motion to create a mathematical equation that described the force of gravity between two objects.

3. Is Newton's gravitational theory still relevant today?

Yes, Newton's gravitational theory is still relevant and widely used in modern physics and astronomy. It accurately predicts the motion of objects in our solar system and has been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations.

4. What are the limitations of Newton's gravitational theory?

Newton's gravitational theory has some limitations, particularly when it comes to explaining the behavior of objects at very small scales, such as subatomic particles, and at very high speeds, such as those close to the speed of light. It also does not take into account the effects of relativistic and quantum mechanics.

5. How does Newton's gravitational theory differ from Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the general theory of relativity, expanded upon and modified Newton's gravitational theory. While Newton's theory describes gravity as a force between masses, Einstein's theory explains it as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy. Einstein's theory also takes into account the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time, while Newton's theory does not.