Calculating Net Force and Friction: Understanding Newton's Laws of Motion

In summary: That makes total sense!In summary, the block is being pushed by a child with an applied force of 5.1 N.
Kmcquiggan
Homework Statement
A child pushes a block of wood with a mass of 0.72kg across a smooth table. The block starts from a position of rest and after 2.0 s it has a velocity of 1.6m/s [forward]. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.64
Relevant Equations
FN= Fg=mg , Fnet=Fg+FN, Ff=Fnuk
I am very new to physics so I am still learning a lot. Here is my attempt:
Find the net force acting on the block : Fnet= Fg+FN so I have to find FN before I can complete the answer. FN = Fg (mg) FN = (0.72kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 7.056 or 7.06 N
Fnet = 9.8+7.06 = 16.86 N or 16.9 N

To find the force of friction I used the formula Ff= (FN)(uk) = 16.9*.64 =10.816N or 10.8 N

Now I used the formula Fapplied = Ff+FN = 10.8N + 7.06N = 17.86 or 17.9 N of applied force.

Am I even close to understanding this or correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$ F_{net}=ma $$ so you can determine ## F_{net}##. Then: $$ F_{net}=F_{applied}-F_{friction} $$ with $$ F_{friction}=μ_kmg $$

ok thank you, so i was way off lol

Kmcquiggan said:
ok thank you, so i was way off lol

Have you ever heard the term "free-body diagram"? If not, do an Internet search.

Two questions:

1) How many forces are acting on the block?

2) What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

neilparker62 said:
$$ F_{net}=ma $$ so you can determine ## F_{net}##. Then: $$ F_{net}=F_{applied}-F_{friction} $$ with $$ F_{friction}=μ_kmg $$
For the first formula are you meaning FN? Just wondering as you have 2 formulas for Fnet? Or am I missing something?

Ok, so with the new understanding
Fnet = ma or Fnet= (0.72)(9.8m/s^2) = 7.056 or 7.06N
Ff= Ukmg = (0.64)(.72)(9.8) = 4.51584 or 4.52 N
The formula I was given to find Fnet (horizontal) = Fapplied +Ff so to find applied force can I take Fnet- Ff and that will give me applied? 7.06-4.52 = 2.54N for applied force?

Kmcquiggan said:
Ok, so with the new understanding
Ff= Ukmg = (0.64)(.72)(9.8) = 4.51584 or 4.52 N
The formula I was given to find Fnet (horizontal) = Fapplied +Ff so to find applied force can I take Fnet- Ff and that will give me applied? 7.06-4.52 = 2.54N for applied force?

That's not correct, I'm sorry to say.

To start at the beginning. You say:

Why do you think the acceleration of the block is ##9.8 m/s^2##?

I started back at the beginning.
Fnet = ma , so I need to find a which equals v=V0+at = 0+1.6/2 = .8m/s^2
So Fnet = .072kg*.8m/s^2 = 0.576N
So the net force acting on the block is 0.576 N or 0.58N
Now to find the friction Force is F=ukmg F= 0.64*0.72*9.8 = 4.51584 or 4.52 N
Then I must find the force for which the child actually pushes on the block of wood
Fapplied = Fnet+Ffriction = 4.52+0.58 F applied = 5.1 N
Am I getting it this time

Looks fine to me although you might need to be a bit more careful with your algebra when determining acceleration: ## a=\frac{Δv}{Δt}=\frac{v_f-v_i}{Δt} ##

Ok thank you very much for the assistance I am finally understanding it now

Likes neilparker62

1. What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever a force is applied on an object, the object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and is constant, while weight is measured in newtons (N) and can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

5. Can Newton's Laws be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. They also apply to both macroscopic objects, such as cars and planets, and microscopic particles, such as atoms and molecules.