Newton's law and two blocks on vertical inclined plane

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving two blocks on a vertical inclined plane with an angle of pi/2. The question asks for the value of m1 for a1 and a2 to be equal to 0, in terms of m2 and g. The conversation also mentions the use of a rope and tension force between the two blocks. The participants are trying to clarify the details of the problem, including the values of a1, a2, m1, and m2, and the confusion surrounding the angle of pi/2. They suggest attaching a picture to better understand the problem.
SpicyQ
hi i have a question:

if you have 2 blocks on a vertical inclined plane...

( with angle teta = pi/2)

what would m1 be equal to for a1 and a2 to be = 0

(the answer should be in terms of some or all of the variables of m2 and g)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
help please :cry: :yuck:

Could you elaborate on that?

Tide said:
Could you elaborate on that?

(sorry i can't put up a pic, i'll try my best)

imagine a rt angle triangle... (the inclined plane)

the block is resting on the hypotenous and the second block is attached on the "leg" with the rope holding both blocks...

the question says that imagine the block is on a vertical plane with angle teta = pi/2

what is the value of m1 for a1 and a2 to be equal to 0.

it said to put the answers in terms of m2 and g

:confused:

well, what is a1 a2 and m1. your problem seems very simple, but you explained it terribly. let me ask...you have one triangle with one block connected with a rope to the second, right?

and one block is on the inclined plane, and the other one is on the vertical leg...so one block is pulled by a force of Cos(Theta)*Fg and the other one by it's Fg...and there's a tension force in between them that is symetric due to Newton's last law and you want to know which block moves wihch way and by what speed or acceleration etc...right?

or you want to know the mass of one knowing the fricktion force and speed of the whole system?

something along these lines? well, it's 1 am and i got homework so i'll guess your problem tomorrow...please describe it better, maybe attach a picture...

becasue i think int is very very easy.

Robokapp said:
well, what is a1 a2 and m1. your problem seems very simple, but you explained it terribly. let me ask...you have one triangle with one block connected with a rope to the second, right?

and one block is on the inclined plane, and the other one is on the vertical leg...so one block is pulled by a force of Cos(Theta)*Fg and the other one by it's Fg...and there's a tension force in between them that is symetric due to Newton's last law and you want to know which block moves wihch way and by what speed or acceleration etc...right?

or you want to know the mass of one knowing the fricktion force and speed of the whole system?

something along these lines? well, it's 1 am and i got homework so i'll guess your problem tomorrow...please describe it better, maybe attach a picture...

becasue i think int is very very easy.

thanks..
u were right in ur analysis..
values for m1, m2, a1, and a2 were not given. the only given # is angle teta = pi/2.

i'll try and attach a pic here..
thanks

okay now...im only a senior in high school, but as far as my geometry goes a pi/2 is a radian that = 90 degrees. a right triangle with two angles of 90 degrees is not really a triangle, it is a line...so you should defenetly help us understand what your triangle looks like.

if you got no other means or on time, draw a sketch in paint and attach it using www.photobucket.com

that pi/2 is confusing me...becasue the vertical and horisontal already form an angle of pi/2 and in a triangle the angles add up to 2Pi/2...so you would have the third angle equal zero.

1. What is Newton's Law and how does it apply to two blocks on a vertical inclined plane?

Newton's Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back. In the case of two blocks on a vertical inclined plane, the force of gravity pulling the blocks down is balanced by the normal force of the inclined plane pushing the blocks up.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of the two blocks on a vertical inclined plane?

The acceleration of the two blocks on a vertical inclined plane is affected by the force of gravity, the mass of the blocks, and the angle of the inclined plane. The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the gravitational force and the faster the acceleration of the blocks will be.

3. How does the coefficient of friction impact the motion of the two blocks on a vertical inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness between two surfaces, can affect the motion of the two blocks on a vertical inclined plane. If the coefficient of friction is low, the blocks will slide down the inclined plane more easily. However, if the coefficient of friction is high, the blocks will require more force to overcome the friction and will move slower.

4. Is the motion of the two blocks on a vertical inclined plane affected by the masses of the blocks?

Yes, the masses of the blocks will affect the motion of the two blocks on a vertical inclined plane. The greater the mass of the blocks, the greater the force of gravity pulling them down and the faster they will accelerate. However, the normal force of the inclined plane will also increase to balance out the force of gravity.

5. Can Newton's Law be applied to any two objects on a vertical inclined plane?

Yes, Newton's Law can be applied to any two objects on a vertical inclined plane as long as the force of gravity and the normal force of the inclined plane are the only forces acting on the objects. The law of inertia, which is part of Newton's Laws, also applies to this scenario as the blocks will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.