Newtons Law Involving Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block connected to another block on an inclined surface with a frictionless pulley. The formula for calculating the acceleration of the system is determined, but there is confusion about finding the minimum kinetic friction needed to prevent the system from accelerating. The solution is eventually found through algebraic calculations.
ISU20CpreE
I have a block conected to another block by a string in an inclined surface, with a frictionless pulley. Both blocks are the same weight so i already figure the acceleration of the object that its being pulled up.

What I don't know is how can I calculate the minimum kinetic friction that will keep the system from accelerating.

I tried setting the acceleration to zero for this formula:

[Tex] a= 1\ frac{m2*g-m1*g*sin\theta - \mu*m1*g*cos\theta} {m1+m2} [\tex]

after that i really don't get the answer. Please any sugestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
what no help??

Your description of the set up is a bit unclear, but if it's like what I have in the attachment, then I get the same expression as yourself for the acceleration.

If the system is not accelerating, then a = 0.
Set the numerator in your expression to zero and solve for [tex]\mu[/tex].

Attachments

• isu.jpg
    isu.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 552
Complete Problem

Fermat said:
Your description of the set up is a bit unclear, but if it's like what I have in the attachment, then I get the same expression as yourself for the acceleration.

If the system is not accelerating, then a = 0.
Set the numerator in your expression to zero and solve for [tex]\mu[/tex].

thats exactly what i did but it doesn't match the answer of the book.

this is the problem:

A block (mass m1) lying on a frictionless inclined plane is connected to a mass m2 by a massless cord passing over a pulley, as shown in Fig. 4-53.
(a) Determine a formula for the acceleration of the system in terms of m1, m2, , and g.
(b) What conditions apply to masses m1 and m2 for the acceleration to be in one direction (say, m1 down the plane), or in the opposite direction?

What smallest value of µk will keep the system of the previous problem from accelerating?

was your answer for the formula for acceleration, part (a), the same as in the book ?

if i try to see the smallest possible value of [tex] \mu [/tex] kinetic i get twp wrong answers "1.46" and "-0.61". It doesn't match my webassign page.

For [tex]\mu _k[/tex] I got

[tex]\mu = \left( \frac{m_2}{m_1}\right)sec\theta - tan\theta[/tex]

bit i can't see how I would get two answers ??

Fermet I got it. You were great help. I was wrong because my algebra procedure was wrong. I will be asking you more questions some of these days. For now I want to thank you for your help. Have a good one.

Best Regards,

Carlos

The answer is 0.63719 [tex] \approx [/tex] 0.64.

ISU20CpreE said:
Fermet I got it. You were great help. I was wrong because my algebra procedure was wrong. I will be asking you more questions some of these days. For now I want to thank you for your help. Have a good one.

Best Regards,

Carlos
Ciao
scgyucfnbvs

What is Newton's law involving friction?

Newton's law involving friction states that the force of friction between two surfaces is directly proportional to the normal force and the coefficient of friction.

What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by one surface on another surface in a direction perpendicular to the surface. In other words, it is the force that prevents objects from passing through each other.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is dependent on the materials of the surfaces and their roughness.

How does the angle of a surface affect friction?

The angle of a surface can affect friction by changing the normal force. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in less friction between the surfaces.

What are some real-life applications of Newton's law involving friction?

Some examples of real-life applications of Newton's law involving friction include car brakes, walking on a slippery surface, and the use of sandpaper to create friction for sanding wood.