Newton's Law of Cooling constant k

In summary, Newton's Law of Cooling is a formula used to describe the rate of heat transfer between a hot object and its surroundings. The constant k represents the convective coefficient, which is calculated using fluid mechanics equations and can also be found through correlations involving fluid mechanics numbers. The units for k are W/(m^2)K and it is used in the equation q=h*(T-Ts). This law can also be used to describe the cooling of a cold object in a warmer environment.
maccaman
In Newton's Law of Cooling, we have the constant k, i was just wondering (most people will prolly laugh at me) what the constant k represents, and what units this constant would have.

Also, can the law describe a cold object being heated up in a warmer environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should typewrite your equation us to be sure. I guess you want to say:

q=h*(T-Ts) (Newton Law of cooling);

where h (k yours) is the convective coefficient in W/(m^2)K

Well, I wish you will never need to calculate h theoretically. It is used when it exists a heat transferring due to fluids movement or fluid to solid boundary movement. It could be calculated in two ways:

i) solving Navier Stokes equation for the fluid motion. (it would be dangerous for your health).

ii) using heavies correlations involving the Fluid Mechanics Numbers (Reynolds, Prandtl, Nusselt, etc).

dy/dx = k(y - C)

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of the constant k in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The constant k in Newton's Law of Cooling refers to the cooling rate or cooling constant, which is a measure of how quickly an object or substance cools down. It is represented by the letter k in the equation for Newton's Law of Cooling: T(t) = T0 + (T1 - T0)e^(-kt), where T(t) is the temperature at time t, T0 is the initial temperature, T1 is the surrounding temperature, and e is the natural logarithm.

2. How is the value of k determined in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The value of k is determined by experimental data. To find the value of k, scientists measure the temperature of an object at different time intervals as it cools down and then use these values to solve for k in the equation T(t) = T0 + (T1 - T0)e^(-kt). The value of k will vary depending on the specific object or substance being cooled and the surrounding temperature.

3. What is the significance of Newton's Law of Cooling constant k in everyday life?

The constant k in Newton's Law of Cooling is significant in everyday life because it helps us understand and predict how quickly objects or substances will cool down. This information can be useful in various situations, such as determining how long to leave food out before refrigerating it or how long it will take for a hot drink to cool down to a comfortable temperature.

4. Does the value of k ever change in Newton's Law of Cooling?

Yes, the value of k can change in Newton's Law of Cooling. It is affected by various factors, such as the initial temperature of the object, the surrounding temperature, and the material of the object. For example, a metal object will cool down at a different rate than a plastic object due to differences in their thermal conductivity.

5. Can Newton's Law of Cooling be applied to objects that are heating up instead of cooling down?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can be applied to objects that are heating up instead of cooling down. In this case, the value of k will be positive instead of negative, as the object is gaining heat instead of losing it. This can be useful in situations such as determining how long it will take for an oven to heat up to a certain temperature.