Newton's law of cooling

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton's law of cooling in a laboratory environment and whether a person would cool faster from 150 degrees celcius to 100 degrees celcius or from 100 degrees celcius to 50 degrees celcius. There is confusion about the variables needed and the external temperature of the laboratory. The equation states that the rate of cooling depends on the material and initial temperature difference, but it is unclear if the lab temperature is constant or not. Ultimately, it is suggested that the rate of cooling would be faster with a larger temperature difference and slower when closer to equilibrium.
sunbunny
Hey, I'm having problems with this question:

According to Newton's law of cooling, what cools faster, a person from 150 degress celcius to 100 degrees celcius or 100 degrees celcius to 50 degrees celcius in a laboratory environment? Why?

I' not really sure where to start.
I know the formula for this law is (T-Tr)= (To-Tr)e^-t/time constant

I guess wha I'm confused about is that I don't have some of the variables that I need like the time constant.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreicated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The information we get from the equation is that the rate of cooling depends only on the material involved and the initial temperature difference, and it sounds like the material (human) is the same in both cases!

Does this then mean that the body would cool at the same rate in both situations since they both have a temperature difference of 50 degrees celcius?

It doesn't seem clear to me that the "laboratory environment" is 100C in the first instance and 50C in the second. Why can't it be 20C in both? It doesn't say.

Since the external temperature is not specified the only way to interpret the problem to make any sense is to a assume a constant lab temp.

I imagined that the first case had the person[tex]^1[/tex] at 150C, with the lab at 100C, and that the second case has the person[tex]^2[/tex] at 100C and the lab at 50C.

1. Steaming pile of ashes.
2. Boiling goo.

Crosson said:
I imagined that the first case had the person[tex]^1[/tex] at 150C, with the lab at 100C, and that the second case has the person[tex]^2[/tex] at 100C and the lab at 50C.

1. Steaming pile of ashes.
2. Boiling goo.

I really doubt that the lab would be at 212 degrees fahrenheit.
The question is asking whether it takes longer to go from 150>>100 or from 100>>50 in an environment that is 20 degrees to start with.

Temperature loss occurs the faster at bigger differences, and slower when close to equilibrium.

thank you all for you help, I now have some ideas to work with!

What is Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling is a scientific law that describes the rate at which an object cools down when placed in a different temperature environment. It states that the rate of change of an object's temperature is directly proportional to the difference between its temperature and the temperature of its surroundings.

Who discovered Newton's law of cooling?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering and formulating Newton's law of cooling in the 17th century.

How is Newton's law of cooling used in everyday life?

Newton's law of cooling has practical applications in various fields such as meteorology, engineering, and food preservation. For example, it helps predict how long it will take for a hot cup of coffee to cool down to a drinkable temperature or how long it will take for a room to reach a certain temperature after the air conditioning is turned on.

What factors affect the rate of cooling according to Newton's law?

The rate of cooling is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the object, the temperature of its surroundings, the surface area of the object, and the type of material the object is made of.

Is Newton's law of cooling applicable to all objects?

No, Newton's law of cooling is only applicable to objects that follow the principles of thermodynamics, such as solids and liquids. It does not apply to objects that undergo phase changes, such as boiling water or melting ice.