Newton's law of cooling and temperature

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the temperature reading at 1:09 pm, given a starting temperature of 70 F and a rate of cooling represented by the constant k. The equation used is ln(T-Tm)]^{T2}_{T1}=kt]^{t2}_{t1}, where Tm is the ambient temperature, T is the temperature at time t, and k is the constant. After some trial and error, the correct solution is found using the equation T(t) = T_a + (T_o +T_a) e^{-kt}, where T_a is the ambient temperature, T_o is the initial temperature, and k is the constant.
kring_c14
at 1 pm, a thermometer reading 70 F is taken outside where the air temperature is -10F (ten below zero). at 1:02 p.m., the reading is 26F. At 1:05 p., the thermometer is taken back indoors , where the air is at 70 F. What is the temperature reading at 1:09 pm?

Ive made a table like this
Tm= -10

T---- 70 --- 26 --- x

t---- 0 --- 2--- 5

am I supposed to get the temperature x, the do this??
Tm=70

T ---- x ---- n

t ---- 0 ---- 4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was absent the day this was discussed..I would really appreciate some help..thank you//

the answer in the book is 56 F but I couldn't get it right..

heeeelllppp..

Do you know the equation you need for this? Check your book. What you need to do first is use it to find k, the constant that describes the rate of cooling.

yes, it is ln(T-Tm)][tex]^{T2}_{T1}[/tex]=kt][tex]^{t2}_{t1}[/tex]

Ive already computed the value of k..it is -0.40

this is what I did
ln(26-(-10))-ln(70-(-10))=k (2)
ln(36/80)=2k
k=-0.40

did I do it right?

It shouldn't be negative, watch your signs.

i don't know where I am wrong.. there was another problem on Newton's law of cooling where I got a negative k.. but I got the right answer..

This is the form I used

[tex]T(t) = T_a + (T_o +T_a) e^{-kt}[/tex] where [tex]T_a[/tex] is the ambient temperature, [tex]T_o[/tex] in the initial temperature, k is a constant, and t is time.

i don't know where I am wrong.. there was another problem on Newton's law of cooling where I got a negative k.. but I got the right answer..
Well I got a positive one using the above equation, but keep going. You'll know if you get the correct answer.

Are you sure your equation is correct?

What do you think your next step should be?

ok I got it already...lots of thanks!

1. What is Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling is a physical law that describes the rate at which an object cools down in a surrounding medium. It states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the temperature of the surrounding medium.

2. How does Newton's law of cooling relate to temperature?

Newton's law of cooling relates to temperature by describing the rate at which temperature changes for an object in a surrounding medium. It states that the temperature change is dependent on both the initial temperature of the object and the temperature of the surrounding medium.

3. What factors affect the rate of cooling according to Newton's law?

The rate of cooling according to Newton's law is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the object and the surrounding medium, the surface area and volume of the object, and the type of material the object is made of.

4. Can Newton's law of cooling be applied to all situations?

While Newton's law of cooling is a general law, it may not be applicable in all situations. It is based on certain assumptions, such as the object being in a uniform temperature and the surrounding medium having a constant temperature, which may not always be true in real-life situations.

5. How is Newton's law of cooling used in practical applications?

Newton's law of cooling is used in various practical applications, such as refrigeration and air conditioning systems, food preservation, and even in forensic science to determine the time of death of a body. It is also used in industries that involve heat transfer, such as in the production of metals and plastics.