Is the Second Hint for Newton's Law of Restitution Correct?

In summary, the conversation is about the application of Newton's Law of Restitution in a physics question. The question involves determining the coefficient of restitution and the correct method for considering the vertical component of velocity. The answer confirms that the vertical component is only considered in the normal direction and is a fundamental law in physics.
Harmony

Homework Statement

http://mediocre.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/Newtons-law-of-restitution/
Shown in my blog, link provided.

Homework Equations

Newton's Law of Restitution, v2 - v1 = e (u1 - u2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the question, actually...but I need confirmation. Can anyone please help me to check whether the no.2 hint is correct or not? (Located at the bottom of the post)

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite correct. The coefficient of restitution is the ratio of the magnitude of the relative velocity of separation to that of the relative velocity of approach in the normal direction.

Yeah, but though I get the answer, I am not sure why only the vertical component of velocity is considered in the 2nd question. Or am I wrong?

No, you are right. The vertical component is in the normal direction. For now, you can take it to be a law of nature.

1. What is Newton's Law of Restitution?

Newton's Law of Restitution is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the relative velocities of two objects before and after a collision. It states that the ratio of the relative velocities after the collision to the relative velocities before the collision is equal to the negative of the coefficient of restitution.

2. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 represents a completely inelastic collision (objects stick together after impact) and 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision (objects bounce off each other with no loss of kinetic energy).

3. How is Newton's Law of Restitution used in real-world applications?

Newton's Law of Restitution is used in various fields such as sports, engineering, and forensics. In sports, it is used to understand the dynamics of bouncing balls, the impact of collisions in contact sports, and the performance of sports equipment. In engineering, it is used to design safer and more efficient vehicles and structures. In forensics, it is used to analyze the trajectory and impact of objects in accidents and crime scenes.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution can be affected by various factors such as the material and surface properties of the objects involved, the angle and speed of the collision, and external forces such as air resistance. Temperature can also have an impact on the coefficient of restitution, as it can change the properties of the materials involved.

5. Can Newton's Law of Restitution be applied to all types of collisions?

No, Newton's Law of Restitution is only applicable to collisions that are considered to be "simple collisions," where the objects involved are in direct contact and there are no external forces acting on them. It does not apply to more complex collisions such as those involving multiple objects or non-conservative forces. In those cases, other laws and principles of physics must be used to analyze the collision.