Newton's law problem have attempted it

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving Newton's laws and a rope with negligible mass and no friction. The person had attempted the problem and found their answer to be 42N, but the book's answer was 36.8N. The expert suggests that the mistake may be in leaving out the tension acting on one of the blocks.
thugg
Newton's law problem...have attempted it

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2941/asd6rh.jpg

rope is of negligible mass and no friction...now this is what i did

the bc and ab are subscripts for cords between each block

9.8(10)- Tbc = 10a
9.8(40)-Tab = 40a
Tab=30a

so by substituting i get a =5.6

then i plug it into get Tbc...which gives me 42N.

but the answer in the book says 36.8N...dunno what I am doing wrong, any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thugg said:
9.8(10)- Tbc = 10a

This is OK.

9.8(40)-Tab = 40a

This is not OK.

You've got the weight of the 40 kg block and the tension pulling upwards, which is good. But Tbc is also acting on the 40 kg block, and you've left that out.

That's the only mistake I see, so that should fix the problem.

And I've deleted your identical thread in the K-12 HW Forum. Please do not post multiple threads for the same topic.

wow can't believe i didnt think of that...weird

What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are basic principles that describe the motion of objects. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do you solve a Newton's law problem?

To solve a Newton's law problem, you first need to identify the forces acting on the object in question. Then, use Newton's second law to calculate the net force and acceleration. Finally, use this information to solve for the unknown variable, such as velocity or distance.

What is an example of a Newton's law problem?

An example of a Newton's law problem could be a car traveling at a constant speed of 30 m/s. The car suddenly applies the brakes, causing it to decelerate at a rate of 5 m/s². Using Newton's second law, we can calculate the net force as mass times acceleration, which in this case would be F = m * a = m * (-5 m/s²). We can then use this information to solve for the distance the car travels before coming to a complete stop.

Why are Newton's laws important?

Newton's laws are important because they explain the fundamental principles of motion and how objects interact with each other. They are the basis for many scientific theories and laws, and they are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.

How did Newton come up with his laws of motion?

Isaac Newton developed his laws of motion through a combination of observation, experimentation, and mathematical reasoning. He also built upon the work of previous scientists, such as Galileo, to formulate his theories. Newton's laws of motion were first published in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.