Solving Newton's Law Problems: Tension & Mass

In summary: It is just the equation of equilibrium for the y-direction. You can imagine as if you 'cut out' the node at which the strings meet and anaylsed it by itself, if that makes things easier.
prace
Hello, I have a question with a simple Tension - Mass problem. Here is the question:

For the systems in Equilibrium, find the unknown tensions and masses.
a) http://answerboard.cramster.com/answer-board/image/ed663c5fcb01e8fb6c7522cf963b49f1.jpg

b) http://answerboard.cramster.com/answer-board/image/dc409314d85cd577ab9279e81977fd75.jpg

c) http://answerboard.cramster.com/answer-board/image/d24349d36430cfb757bde12ffdbca0af.jpg

For a), I found T1 = 60N, but I can't seem to find T2 or the mass.

For c), I have found T1 = T3, but that is as far as I have got.

Any help on the other parts?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing free body diagrams should help.

Yeah, I drew the free body diagrams, and that is how I figured out the parts that I did, but I am still stuck on the others.

prace said:
Yeah, I drew the free body diagrams, and that is how I figured out the parts that I did, but I am still stuck on the others.

Well, let's start with a). Draw a free body diagram for the mass, since I assume you didn't do that, otherwise the problem would be solved.

radou said:
Well, let's start with a). Draw a free body diagram for the mass, since I assume you didn't do that, otherwise the problem would be solved.

Actually, I did draw the FBD. It is just a little hard to show on the forum so I did not show it. But just so you believe me, here it is, or what I think it should be.

http://answerboard.cramster.com/answer-board/image/f82c0c65fe75d2ff30bd3844a0167c55.jpg

Here is my work:

For the x direction:

T1cos([tex]\theta[/tex])-Fx = 0

0 because the problem states that the hanging mass is in a state of equilibrium.

So then this givesme T1cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) = F
or
T1 = F/(T1cos(60°)) where F = 30N

This gives me, as I stated in my original post, T1 = 60N.

So I then examined the y direction:

T1sin([tex]\theta[/tex])-T2-Fg = ma, where again, ma = 0 because the mass is at its equilibrium position and there is no acceleration.

This then gives me 60Nsin(60°)+T2 = mg. So now I am left with 1 equation and 2 unknowns. This is where my question is coming from.

Thank you.

prace said:
Actually, I did draw the FBD. It is just a little hard to show on the forum so I did not show it. But just so you believe me, here it is, or what I think it should be.

http://answerboard.cramster.com/answer-board/image/f82c0c65fe75d2ff30bd3844a0167c55.jpg

Here is my work:

For the x direction:

T1cos([tex]\theta[/tex])-Fx = 0

0 because the problem states that the hanging mass is in a state of equilibrium.

So then this givesme T1cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) = F
or
T1 = F/(T1cos(60°)) where F = 30N

This gives me, as I stated in my original post, T1 = 60N.

So I then examined the y direction:

T1sin([tex]\theta[/tex])-T2-Fg = ma, where again, ma = 0 because the mass is at its equilibrium position and there is no acceleration.

This then gives me 60Nsin(60°)+T2 = mg. So now I am left with 1 equation and 2 unknowns. This is where my question is coming from.

Thank you.
You've got an extra unknown in your FBD, which is in error. When you take the FBD at the joint, you have T1sin60 =T2. Solve for T2. Then take the FBD of the mass, to get T2 = mg, solve for m. Alternatively, when you look at the FBD of the system, the tension force T2 is internal, so it doesn't enter into the equation. You just have T1sin60 =mg.

In part b, you left out the magnitde of the tension force T3, otherwise, the problem is numerically unsolvable.

In part C, the tension forces around the pulley are equal in magnitude.

Oh ok, I see. One question, in problem a) why does T1sin60 = T2? Does this always hold true?

prace said:
Oh ok, I see. One question, in problem a) why does T1sin60 = T2? Does this always hold true?

It is just the equation of equilibrium for the y-direction. You can imagine as if you 'cut out' the node at which the strings meet and anaylsed it by itself, if that makes things easier.

1. How do you calculate tension in a Newton's Law problem?

The tension in a Newton's Law problem can be calculated by using the formula T=ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension?

Static tension refers to the force applied to an object that is not moving, while dynamic tension refers to the force applied to an object that is in motion. In a Newton's Law problem, static tension is typically used to solve for the tension in a stationary object, while dynamic tension is used to solve for the tension in a moving object.

3. How does mass affect tension in a Newton's Law problem?

In a Newton's Law problem, an increase in mass will result in an increase in tension, as the larger mass requires a larger force to move. This is reflected in the formula T=ma, where an increase in mass (m) will result in a corresponding increase in tension (T).

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Newton's Law problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Newton's Law problems include forgetting to convert units to the correct SI units (kilograms, meters, seconds), not considering all the forces acting on an object, and not using the correct formula for the given scenario.

5. Can tension ever be negative in a Newton's Law problem?

No, tension cannot be negative in a Newton's Law problem. Since tension is a force, it is always a positive value. If a negative tension is calculated, it is likely an indication that a mistake has been made in the calculation.