Newton's Law Problems: Solve My 4 Problems

In summary, the conversation involved discussing four problems and providing solutions. The speaker also suggested a different approach for solving one of the problems and pointed out an error in the direction of forces in another problem. They also requested feedback on their solutions.
the whizz
here is my 4 problems.

attached is my attempt at #2...any input would be great.

Attachments

• physics2.jpg
    physics2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 407
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
are these images viewable...it'd be a pain to type out the problems.

ok here are my solutions to all four problems...if anyone can take a look i would love it.

thanks

Attachments

• Problem #1.jpg
    Problem #1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Problem #2.jpg
    Problem #2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 338
  • problem #3.jpg
    problem #3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 306
the whizz said:
here is my 4 problems.

attached is my attempt at #2...any input would be great.
You shouldn't be looking at the system of 3 masses together, because it is confusing to identify the "net' force acting, and if by chance you get the right combination of forces, the solution is not in the spirit of Newton's 2nd Law. Instead, look at each mass separately, identify the forces acting on each, and use Newton 2 on each. You're going to have to do this anyway to find the tensions. You'll end up with 3 equations which you can solve for the 3 unknowns, T1, T2, and 'a'. I also note that your forces on mass 3 are not directed in the proper direction, although you seem nonethelseess to have correctly identified the forces acting up the plane.

and #4

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. The three laws are: 1) an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force, 2) the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between Newton's First, Second, and Third Laws?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. Newton's Third Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do you use Newton's Laws to solve problems?

To solve problems using Newton's Laws, you must first identify the forces acting on the object, then use Newton's Second Law to calculate the net force on the object. Next, use Newton's First Law to determine the object's motion, and finally, use Newton's Third Law to determine the reaction force.

What are some common examples of Newton's Laws in everyday life?

Some common examples of Newton's Laws in everyday life include: 1) a ball rolling down a hill (Newton's First Law), 2) a car accelerating when the gas pedal is pressed (Newton's Second Law), and 3) a rocket launching into space (Newton's Third Law).

How do you know when to use which of Newton's Laws?

In general, you can use Newton's First Law when an object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, Newton's Second Law when an object is accelerating, and Newton's Third Law when there is an interaction between two objects. It's important to carefully analyze the problem and determine which law(s) are applicable.