Newton's law question (pulley)

In summary, Block A has a weight of 400N and Block B has a weight of 100N. The coefficient of friction between all surfaces of contact are μs = 0.7 and μk = 0.2. Knowing that θ = 60°, determine the acceleration of block A and the tension in the cord. Block A is moving downwards and the tension in the cord is 103.7N.
nothingkwt

Homework Statement

Block A has a weight of 400N and block B has a weight of 100N. The coefficient of friction between all surfaces of contact are μs = 0.7 and μk = 0.2.
Knowing that θ = 60°, determine the acceleration of block A and the tension in the cord. Assume block A is moving downwards.
I know I should be solving for the acceleration but I figured if I get the tension I could use ∑F = ma on block B to get the acceleration there and that would be the same acceleration on block A.

Homework Equations

∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(BLOCK A)
took the inclined plane and it's normal as the axis and used Newton's equation on the perpindicular axis to get the normal (N - Wcosθ = 0) and got N = 200N. Then used the plane's axis at the moment the tension force equals the static friction (Wsinθ - 2T - μsN = 0) but I got 103.7N as the answer when it should be 127N and I don't know what my mistake is.

Attachments

• 20140619_165520.jpg
    20140619_165520.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 609
Physics news on Phys.org
determine the acceleration of block A and the tension in the cord. Assume block A is moving downwards. ... used the plane's axis at the moment the tension force equals the static friction
... why static friction?
... how did you account for the mechanical advantage of the pulley?
... how did you incorporate the action of block B.

Simon Bridge said:
... why static friction?
... how did you account for the mechanical advantage of the pulley?
... how did you incorporate the action of block B.

I was trying to get the tension on the cord for before the block started moving

I didn't incorporate block B yet I thought I could get the tension in the cord from block A .

Block B and Block A have different accelerations.

nothingkwt said:
I was trying to get the tension on the cord for before the block started moving...
How does this help you?
Are you not asked for the situation that the block is moving?

I didn't incorporate block B yet I thought I could get the tension in the cord from block A .
Don't you think that the weight of block B would have some impact on the size of the tension?

In other words:
You should revisit those decisions.
You have correctly surmised that you canot get the tension without the acceleration just by considering block A. But choosing to work out the tension when the blocks are balanced is not going to help much. The tension when stationary is not the same as the tension when moving. This means you have to use block B to help find the tension.

This is just like other problems you have done - you will end up having to solve simultaneous equations. You will need two free body diagrams - write out the equations for each.
(I am guessing that the two pulleys can be considered frictionless?)

Note:
If A moves a distance x down the slope, how far does B rise?
If A has instantaneous velocity v down the slope, what is the velocity of B?
How are their accelerations related?

nothingkwt said:

Homework Statement

Block A has a weight of 400N and block B has a weight of 100N. The coefficient of friction between all surfaces of contact are μs = 0.7 and μk = 0.2.
Knowing that θ = 60°, determine the acceleration of block A and the tension in the cord. Assume block A is moving downwards.
I know I should be solving for the acceleration but I figured if I get the tension I could use ∑F = ma on block B to get the acceleration there and that would be the same acceleration on block A.

Homework Equations

∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(BLOCK A)
took the inclined plane and it's normal as the axis and used Newton's equation on the perpindicular axis to get the normal (N - Wcosθ = 0) and got N = 200N. Then used the plane's axis at the moment the tension force equals the static friction (Wsinθ - 2T - μsN = 0) but I got 103.7N as the answer when it should be 127N and I don't know what my mistake is.

(Wsinθ - 2T - μsN is not equal to 0.It should be equal to Mass of block * acceleration of Wa, otherwise no net force will act on it and the block will be in equilibrium.When you draw the FBD of two block you will get 2 equations.Also the acceleration of Wb is twice the acceleration of Wa (third equation). Solve the three equations and get the answer.
But there is still an easier way, you remove the inclined plane and assume (Wa cos[itex]\theta[/itex]-[itex]\mu[/itex]R) is acting on it instead of mg (as in normal conditions).

http://www.oldschool.com.sg/modpub/20204469354a2bdb19c0115
Convert your figure into this figure and assume force acting on load is (Wa cos[itex]\theta[/itex]-[itex]\mu[/itex]R) in downward direction (this is not the net force on Wa) and do the further calculations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also:... the angle being a nice number means you can just substitute the fractions for the sine and cosine.
sin(60)=sqrt(3)/2, cos(60)=1/2

Simon Bridge said:
Also:... the angle being a nice number means you can just substitute the fractions for the sine and cosine.
sin(60)=sqrt(3)/2, cos(60)=1/2

∑F = ma

ma*g*sin(60) - 2T - μk * N = Maaa

(for block A and about the plane's axis)

Where T = mbg + mbab (from block B)

then I took the datum at the pulley that is on the ramp and got length = 2 Sa + Sb

deriving with respect to time twice I get . . . 0 = 2aa + ab

Substituting in the equation I get 1 unknown but still got an answer of aa = 1.739 m/s2 and that is not the right answer (aa = 1.36 m/s2)

Is it because the length of the line equation is wrong since the cord is at an angle?

The formula 0 = 2aa + ab uses a sign convention for the accelerations different than the convention adopted by the other equations.

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
The formula 0 = 2aa + ab uses a sign convention for the accelerations different than the convention adopted by the other equations.

Thank you that was it. I now got the right answer.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and direction, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How does a pulley system work according to Newton's laws?

A pulley system works by utilizing the principles of Newton's laws of motion. The first law explains how the pulley remains stationary unless an external force is applied. The second law explains how the force applied to one end of the pulley is transferred to the other end, allowing for the lifting of objects. The third law explains how the tension in the rope on one side of the pulley is equal to the tension on the other side, making the system balanced and stable.

3. Can Newton's laws be applied to any type of pulley system?

Yes, Newton's laws can be applied to any type of pulley system, whether it is a simple pulley or a more complex arrangement of multiple pulleys. The laws will hold true as long as the system is in a state of equilibrium, with the forces and accelerations balanced.

4. What is the significance of Newton's laws in understanding the mechanics of pulleys?

Newton's laws are essential in understanding the mechanics of pulleys as they explain the relationship between forces, acceleration, and mass in any given system. By understanding these laws, we can determine the amount of force needed to lift a certain load, the acceleration of the system, and how different arrangements of pulleys can affect the overall force needed.

5. How can we use Newton's laws to optimize a pulley system?

To optimize a pulley system, we can use Newton's laws to find the most efficient arrangement of pulleys and determine the ideal amount of force needed to lift a certain load. By understanding the laws, we can also make adjustments to the system, such as changing the mass or angle of the pulleys, to achieve a desired outcome. Additionally, we can use the laws to identify any potential issues or limitations in the design of the pulley system and make improvements for better performance.