Calculating Average Force: 0.110 kg Baseball Strikes Catcher's Mitt

In summary, the problem can be solved by using the equation F = m*a and finding the acceleration using V2 = 2*a*x from the given velocity and distance. Kinematic equations can be used to solve this problem.
JohnnyB212
Have a difficult time on where to start here, iv'e looked over the book, and my notes, and I believe the question is more basic than given, Am I thinking too in depth here? Help please!

A 0.110 kg baseball, traveling 34.0 m/s, strikes the catcher's mitt, which recoils 14.0 cm in bringing the ball to rest. What was the average force (in Newtons) applied by the ball to the mitt?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the velocity and distance to stop, you can get an average acceleration. Then given that acceleration and a mass, you should be able to get an average force.

JohnnyB212 said:
A 0.110 kg baseball, traveling 34.0 m/s, strikes the catcher's mitt, which recoils 14.0 cm in bringing the ball to rest. What was the average force (in Newtons) applied by the ball to the mitt?

Welcome to PF.

F = m*a

So all you are missing is a.

But a can be found fairly simply by V2 = 2*a*x

For kinematic equations:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

F = m*a

So all you are missing is a.

But a can be found fairly simply by V2 = 2*a*x

For kinematic equations:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

THANK YOU! I knew this was easier than I expected. I'm a newbie here but expect more from me, Physics is one of those classes that keeps me up at night :cry:

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They were first published by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 in his work Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less it will accelerate.

4. What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's laws of motion used in everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion are used in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, riding a bike, or playing sports. Engineers and scientists also use these laws to design and improve technologies, such as airplanes, rockets, and amusement park rides.