How to Calculate the Mass of the Second Skater in a Skating Duo?

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a 62kg ice skater pushing off his partner and accelerating backwards at 1.8m/s2 while his partner accelerates in the opposite direction at 2.1m/s2. The problem asks for the mass of the other skater, assuming negligible frictional forces. The solution involves setting the forces exerted by both skaters equal to each other and solving for the mass of the second skater, with the net force being equal to 0 since both skaters were initially at rest.
Workout

Homework Statement

A 62-kg ice skater pushes off his partner and accelerates backwards at 1.8m/s2. If the partner accelerates in the opposite direction at 2.1m/s2, what is the mass of the other skater? Assume that frictional forces are negligible.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I found the force the 62kg ice skater exerted. I subtracted the two accelerations and arrived at a -0.3 m/s^2 acceleration from the 62kg ice skater. So I plugged in:

F = (62kg)(-0.3m/s^2)
So the force exerted by the 62kg person is -18.6N. I don't really know where to go from there? I played around with the equation a bit but I can't seem to get anything remotely close to figuring the mass out of the second skater.

Like I'll put the equation as F+18.6N = (m)(0.3m/s^2) But then I'll have two unknowns but not two equations so it just doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, the same quantity of force applies to both guys. In different direction, tough. This works like Pascal's principle, or the sum of kinetic and potential energy of an object.
So, right here, only considering the quantities of force, F1=F2. You can break force into mass and acceleration both as scalar magnitudes. Try it from here.

Since both skaters are at rest before they push each other, the net force equals 0.

net F=ma.

You can set the forces equal to each other in terms of mass and acceleration and you should only have one unknown, the mass of the second skater.

Thank you Howie!

I would first confirm that your calculations for the force exerted by the 62kg skater are correct. It seems like you may have made a calculation error, as the force should be positive since the skater is pushing in the opposite direction of their acceleration.

Assuming that the force is actually 18.6N, we can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to solve for the mass of the other skater. Since we know the acceleration and force applied, we can rearrange the equation to solve for mass:

m = F/a
m = 18.6N / 2.1m/s^2
m = 8.86 kg

Therefore, the mass of the other skater is approximately 8.86 kg. This makes sense, as the other skater is accelerating at a faster rate than the 62kg skater, indicating that they likely have a smaller mass.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They are: 1) An object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force, 2) The force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and 3) For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. In other words, objects will maintain their state of motion unless a force is applied to change it.

3. How are Newton's laws used in everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion are used in many everyday situations, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. They help us understand and predict the motion of objects and how forces affect their movement.

4. Can Newton's laws be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. They provide a framework for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and can be used to solve various physics problems.

5. How did Newton develop his laws of motion?

Isaac Newton developed his laws of motion through observation and experimentation. He used his laws to explain the motion of objects on Earth as well as the motion of celestial bodies, leading to his theory of universal gravitation. His laws have withstood the test of time and are still widely used in modern physics.