Newtons law questions (rocket)

In summary, a rocket of mass 1000 kg was fired to a height of 5000m. The rocket engine shut off when it reached a height of 1000m and coasted up to 5000m. To reach 5000m, the rocket needed a velocity of 280m/s at the 1000m point. The acceleration experienced by the rocket when the engine was on was 39.2m/s^2 up, and when the engine was off, the acceleration was 9.8m/s^2 down.
lovemake1
Question reads: A rocket of mass 1000 kg is being fired to a height of 5000m. The rocket engine shuts off when the rocket reaches a height of 1000m, and the rocket coasts up to 5000m.

a) what velocity must the rocket have at the 1000m point to enable it to reach 5000m ?
b) what acceleraation did the rocket experience while the engine was on? and off?

so this is a very new question for me as i was previously dealing with tension and friction forces along the plane.
im not very sure how to start questions like this one where i need to combine kinematics.

will i need to find the acceleration first? i know that the forces acting on the rocket is

force applied [up] and gravitational force [ down].

please further guide me with this problem as i have no clue as of this time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to find the velocity at 1000m first. Once you know that you can find the acceleration required to get it to that speed.

First let up be 'positive' and down be 'negative' (this is arbitrary)

a) Let it have velocity 'u' at 1000m. From that point it travels 4000m up with only the acceleration of gravity (-9.8m/s^2) to slow it down. Since its highest point is 5000m, it must have 0 velocity at that point.

So we can use the equation [tex]v^2 = u^2 +2ax[/tex]

With [tex]v = 0[/tex], [tex]a = -9.8[/tex] and [tex]x = 4000[/tex]

Solving we get [tex]u = \pm 280[/tex]. But since we know it must be moving up, we have [tex]u = 280[/tex], i.e. the rocket is moving at 280m/s up. (the negative sign corresponds to when the rocket is falling back down).

b) Before launch, u = 0 m/s, at 1000m we must have v = 280m/s, and it travels 1000m up to this point

So we can use [tex]v^2 = u^2+2ax[/tex] again, and solving for a we get [tex]a = 39.2[/tex].

So the acceleration when the engine is on is 39.2m/s^2 up.

When the engine is off, only gravity is affecting the rocket, so the acceleration is 9.8m/s^2 down (or -9.8m/s^2 up).

haha great, yea i actually ended up solving this problem 10 minutes after posting.
my answers match the ones that you have posted.
great, thanks ~

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to rocket propulsion?

Newton's third law of motion explains rocket propulsion. The rocket pushes hot gases out of its exhaust, and the gases push the rocket in the opposite direction with an equal and opposite force, propelling it forward. This is known as the law of action and reaction.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's second law states that force is equal to mass times acceleration, so an object with a greater mass will require a greater force to accelerate it. However, an object's weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force acting on it.

4. How does Newton's first law explain the motion of a rocket in outer space?

Newton's first law states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the vacuum of outer space, there is no air resistance to slow down a rocket's motion, so it will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a force, such as thrust from the rocket's engines.

5. How can Newton's laws be used to calculate the motion of a rocket?

Newton's second law, F=ma, can be used to calculate the thrust and acceleration of a rocket. The law of action and reaction can be used to determine the force and direction of the rocket's propulsion. By applying these laws, scientists and engineers can design and predict the motion of a rocket during launch and flight.