Solving Weight Equations: Jar & Stone

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the weight of the jar and stone, when weighed together after the stone is immersed in water, is 600 gf. This is because the stone experiences an upthrust force from the water, reducing its apparent weight. However, once the stone hits the bottom of the jar, the total weight goes back to 900 gf. The wording of the problem could have been clearer, but it is important to consider both weights and the effects of buoyancy in this scenario.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

A jar containing water is kept on the pan of a compression type balance which reads 500 gf. A piece of stone is suspended from the balance and reads 400 gf. The stone when lowered in water weighs 300 gf. What will be the weight of the jar and stone (weighed together) when the stone is immersed in water?

Homework Equations

Weight= Weight of jar+Vdg, ie.e. the upthrust because of Newton's third law of motion of equal reaction (opposite.)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the weight=500+(400-300)=600 gf. This answer matches with the answer given at the back of the book. But please can you explain the reason why the apparent weight of the stone is not added to the reading?
I mean to say that it should be equal to 500+100+300. Do you agree??

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is worded a bit awkwardly. I am assuming that the stone weighs 400 gm when weighed conventionally and 300 grams when suspended in water. Why might it weigh less in the latter case? (hint: consider buoyancy)

But that should have no bearing on the total weight of rock plus water when the two are taken together.

It takes a lil bit of imagination to acknowledge this:

I'm supposing that you know why the net weight of the stone is reduced; its because of the upthrust which equals the weight of water displaced. Effectively this means that the water is exerting a force on the stone via upthrust and since the system is in equilibrium and from Newton's third law the stone should exert an equal and opposite force on the liquid. This force adds to its weight. Thus reading should become 500 + 100 = 600 gf!

Sorry, I thought it was a trick question, and believed the rock was allowed to drop to the bottom for the final weigh-in. My bad for not having read more carefully. Or am I still missing something?

600 gf is ok provided the stone is sinking through the water. When it hits the bottom total weight goes back to 900 gf.

Dick said:
600 gf is ok provided the stone is sinking through the water. When it hits the bottom total weight goes back to 900 gf.

True. However I assumed from the question that the stone was somehow suspended in the liquid.

Yea, poor wording IMO.

Yeah, so did I at first. But the question doesn't actually SAY that, does it? A complete answer should probably state both weights.

Yes, but the latter question is much more simple isn't it?! So we might assume the worse!

1. How do I solve a weight equation involving a jar and a stone?

To solve a weight equation involving a jar and a stone, you must first determine the weight of the jar and the weight of the stone. Then, you can add these two weights together to find the total weight. Remember to use the same unit of measurement for both weights.

2. What if the weight of the jar is not given in the problem?

If the weight of the jar is not given in the problem, you can use a common weight for jars, such as 1 pound, and add it to the weight of the stone. However, it is always best to use the actual weight of the jar if it is given.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for the weights?

You can use any unit of measurement for the weights as long as you are consistent. For example, if the weight of the jar is given in kilograms, then the weight of the stone should also be in kilograms.

4. What if there are multiple stones in the jar?

If there are multiple stones in the jar, you will need to add the weight of each stone together before adding it to the weight of the jar. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement for all the stones.

5. Can this method be applied to other objects besides a jar and a stone?

Yes, this method can be applied to other objects as long as you know the weight of each object. Simply add the weights together to find the total weight.