Solving Object's Motion with Constant Forces

In summary, an object with a mass of 4.0 kg travels north at a constant velocity of 4.8 m/s before being acted upon by a 6.5 N force in the direction of motion and a 9.5 N force in the opposite direction. The object will come to a stop and then start to accelerate forward. The distance it will travel before coming to rest can be calculated using the initial conditions of mass, velocity, and force. In part b, the position of the object 2.5 seconds after coming to rest can be calculated using the equation x=VoXT + 1/2axt^2, where Vo is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the
papa_smurf493

Homework Statement

An object with a mass of 4.0 kg travels with a constant velocity of 4.8 m/s northward. It is then acted on by a force of 6.5 N in the direction of motion and a force of 9.5 N to the south, both of which continue even after the mass comes momentarily to rest.

(a) How far will the object travel before coming to rest?

(b) What will be its position 2.5 s after the object comes momentarily to rest?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 4.0 Kg traveling in one direction and a 3.0 N force (9.5N-6.5N=3.0N) being applied in the other direction. Soon the car will come to a stop and start to accelerate in the forward direction. Plug in the initial conditions of 4.0Kg traveling North at 4.8 m/s being acted upon by a constant 3.0N (Kg/ms^2) south force. (North is usually up and is positive; so a Southern acting force is negative).

I like to reword the question so its relevant to me, but we just started this stuff and i need some help with the equations that i will need to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
please i have no idea where to start and what equation to use!

ok i tried using x=VoXT + 1/2axt^2 but i don't think it applies because there is no time involved in part a

1. What is the definition of constant force?

Constant force is the force applied to an object that remains unchanged in magnitude and direction throughout the object's motion.

2. How is constant force different from variable force?

Variable force is a force that changes in magnitude and/or direction during an object's motion, while constant force remains the same.

3. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion and how does it relate to constant force?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of constant force, the acceleration of an object will also be constant, as long as the mass of the object remains the same.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object with constant force?

The acceleration of an object with constant force can be calculated by dividing the net force by the mass of the object. This can be represented as a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

5. Can constant force change the direction of an object's motion?

Yes, constant force can change the direction of an object's motion if it is applied at an angle to the object's initial direction of motion. This will result in a curved path of motion known as projectile motion.